Clear All

• moose
    replied
    Thanks Anne for the reply. Moose

Leave a comment:

• Anne F. Goodman
    replied
    http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com...Terms=chevy,v8
    Try this thread Moose. I put Chevy v8 in the search to find it.

Mabel 1949 Champion
    1957 Silverhawk
    1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    1955 President State
    Fresno,Ca

Leave a comment:

• Dick Steinkamp
    replied
    I apologize. I think it would have been better for me to ignore the question rather than tell why I think Moose wasn't getting any replies. My bad.

The search function isn't perfect, primarily for the reasons Jeff gave. In addition, you can't even search just in the Technical Talk for subjects like this since we're not too good at keeping the right topics in the right forums. Also, the search archives only goes back presently to about August of 06 and I'm sure the best threads on subjects like this were in the early days of the forum when the question had not been asked 150 times already.

Because of the reasons Jeff gave, to search a topic like this I would just put something like CHEVY in the "search for" line, then search all forums, and entire message (not just subject). Yea, you get 25 pages to wade through, and most won't apply, but you will find what you are looking for.

On at least the top three subjects (how do I put a Chevy in my Stude, what oil should I use, and what tires and wheels will fit), I doubt if they will be getting much of an answer going forward. Again, I know it's rude and not in the hobby's best interest to ignore these questions, but how many times can you realistically rehash exactly the same thing?

I also know that this idea has been vetoed before, and that's to refer the questioner to a number of threads that already answer his question. Then after those are read, the questioner can certainly come back with more specific questions. Maybe we just do this with the top three and see if it works?

BTW, a you will find "stickys" at the top of each forum. They are no reply threads with general information posted by Bob Shaw. A sticky might work for this "experiment" but perhaps there is a better way.

Leave a comment:

• bradnree
    replied
    What is a "sticky" ?

I tried to search that too.

BRAD

Leave a comment:

• bradnree
    replied

There would be so many ways to enter SBC engine swap: engine swap, sbc, sbc engine swap, lark engine swap. I wonder what would make it easier, how could we change the "topic" entry to work better in the search (library) area. Mr. Shaw can help us I'm sure.

BRAD

Leave a comment:

• DEEPNHOCK
    replied
    I agree with your comment about hard to use.
    But it is the forum members that are making it hard to search.
    Multiple threads started with bizarre header names (sometimes).
    Shoot, there are at least five threads started for the recent Georgia State meet.
    Try and search for that two years from now.
    Seventeen ways to list a thread for engine swapping makes it darned hard to go back and look.
    And making them 'stickys' also has it's own peril.
    If there ends up being a full page of sticky's, then just getting to the forum is a pita.
    One man's opinion.
    Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by bradnree

I find the search very difficult to use. Try "engine swap", try anything, correct me If I'm wrong. Show me the search swap references that put a SBC in a ________. Thanks.
    BRAD
    http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

Leave a comment:

• bradnree
    replied
    I find the search very difficult to use. Try "engine swap", try anything, correct me If I'm wrong. Show me the search swap references that put a SBC in a ________. Thanks.

BRAD

Leave a comment:

• JDP
    replied
    Moose, don't take any offense, but you need to understand Dick's point. Once you've spent a half hour helping with the first swap question, the info has been archived and it's pain to do it over and over. I sometimes ignore a question that a simple search would answer, and Dick was just telling you how to do that.

JDP/Maryland

Leave a comment:

• buddymander
    replied
    ya, we just laff when asked about a sbc in a stude cuz there are so many out there On top of that stude went ahead and made it a factory swap. So the hardest part is taking it back far enough to stock to go forward with the chev swap. Things were probably modified with the chrysler that will make it a little bit more difficult to put the chevy engine in there than if it was stock. I put a 360 in my hawk, so I know I made changes that would make putting a sbc in there a lot harder.Post some pics of your frame mounts and underneath and we'll have a better idea of what will be involved.

Leave a comment:

• sals54
    replied
    Moose,
    We're only too happy to help. I think you misunderstood Dick's comment. I believe he was just trying to say that sometimes we get lazy about answering some questions. You will find more help here about Studes than anywhere. Even if they don't have Stude power. Lots of hotrodders here too. good luck on the project.

Leave a comment:

• moose
    replied
    No problem I will take care of the project.Did not want to raddle your feathers like that.Seem like your a lot of unhappy people on here cause you have to do something. Moose

Leave a comment:

• bradnree
    replied
    Find a local street rod club and you will have the answers about swapping, that's what I do/did. These people have been swapping steadily since the 60's. If you wish, send me your location, and I will help you by sending clubs in your area.

BRAD

Leave a comment:

• Dick Steinkamp
    replied
    It's also one of the top 3 questions asked on this forum. Plenty of info using the search function. I know that's a cop out and maybe even rude to a new comer, but you can only type the same stuff so many times before you just quit answering the question.

Bottom line...

It's not as easy as it sounds.

You'll spend a lot more money and a lot more time than you budget

You'll have "opportunities" with just about everything from cooling, to linkages, to steering box clearance, to ....

The mounts are by far the easiest part of the swap.

Leave a comment:

• Alan
    replied
    Moose, There are many ways to put a SBC in a Lark. It would take a 2 or 3 page tec. article to give you every way of doing it, depending on what year engine an type of trans you want to put in it. What kind of steering you have on it. If you want to use 3, 4 or 5 point mounts. The reason you didn't get much feedback is because you didn't give enough information in your question.

Leave a comment:

• moose
    replied
    I guess not a lot of people on here have done this swap back in the day that is all you seen was most of the larks had chevy V8 engines in them. Thanks Moose

Leave a comment:

Working...
X