Chevy V8 in 59 lark?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chevy V8 in 59 lark?

Hello looking for some info on putting a 350 chevy in a 59 lark have a small block mopar now but going to pull it out and put in a chevy
    Have to know what exhaust manifolds to use or headers and what motor mounts that are correct to use.I will be using a 350 trans so i will need some info on the right drive shaft also.If you guys have made this swap please let me know. Thanks Moose email kst19sk@msn.com[8D]

In 1968 in a 60 ht I put a 283-270 hp engine with a borg warner t-10 trans .
    I used a stude chev front mount( 65-66 stud) used a 57 chevy bell housing ( 57 chev bell had motor mounts ),mounted the mounts to existing cross member which eliminated the rear cross member. used 55 chevy 265 exhast manifolds to gain a mount for the gen.and to clear sterring reach rod fabricated pipes to plumb down to the space for exhast humps in cross member. Used a hydralic clutch and a dana 44 rear an welded traction bars to the spring base plate. Some of the fire wall had to be alteredand an electric pump for fuel because the mount didn' alow for the mechanical one. and moved the battry to the trunk for weight.
    hope this helps.
    JOE

1959 HARDTOP R2 clone
    1960 conv
    SDC member since 1972
    1959 HARDTOP R2 4speed
    1960 conv R2 auto
    SDC member since 1972
    http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff21/59r2/DSC01514-3.jpg

Comment

Thanks joe for the info my buddy had one when we where kids in sixties and i forgot what we did back then but i was thinking of running a 350 turbo trans and maybe headers or the old ram horn manifolds if they clear things. I been tring to sell it but with the mopar engine forget it just know interest.

Comment

I guess not a lot of people on here have done this swap back in the day that is all you seen was most of the larks had chevy V8 engines in them. Thanks Moose

Comment

Moose, There are many ways to put a SBC in a Lark. It would take a 2 or 3 page tec. article to give you every way of doing it, depending on what year engine an type of trans you want to put in it. What kind of steering you have on it. If you want to use 3, 4 or 5 point mounts. The reason you didn't get much feedback is because you didn't give enough information in your question.

Comment

It's also one of the top 3 questions asked on this forum. Plenty of info using the search function. I know that's a cop out and maybe even rude to a new comer, but you can only type the same stuff so many times before you just quit answering the question.

Bottom line...

It's not as easy as it sounds.

You'll spend a lot more money and a lot more time than you budget

You'll have "opportunities" with just about everything from cooling, to linkages, to steering box clearance, to ....

The mounts are by far the easiest part of the swap.

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Find a local street rod club and you will have the answers about swapping, that's what I do/did. These people have been swapping steadily since the 60's. If you wish, send me your location, and I will help you by sending clubs in your area.

BRAD

Comment

No problem I will take care of the project.Did not want to raddle your feathers like that.Seem like your a lot of unhappy people on here cause you have to do something. Moose

Comment

Moose,
                  We're only too happy to help. I think you misunderstood Dick's comment. I believe he was just trying to say that sometimes we get lazy about answering some questions. You will find more help here about Studes than anywhere. Even if they don't have Stude power. Lots of hotrodders here too. good luck on the project.
                  sals54

Comment

ya, we just laff when asked about a sbc in a stude cuz there are so many out there On top of that stude went ahead and made it a factory swap. So the hardest part is taking it back far enough to stock to go forward with the chev swap. Things were probably modified with the chrysler that will make it a little bit more difficult to put the chevy engine in there than if it was stock. I put a 360 in my hawk, so I know I made changes that would make putting a sbc in there a lot harder.Post some pics of your frame mounts and underneath and we'll have a better idea of what will be involved.

Comment

Moose, don't take any offense, but you need to understand Dick's point. Once you've spent a half hour helping with the first swap question, the info has been archived and it's pain to do it over and over. I sometimes ignore a question that a simple search would answer, and Dick was just telling you how to do that.

JDP/Maryland
                      JDP Maryland

Comment

I find the search very difficult to use. Try "engine swap", try anything, correct me If I'm wrong. Show me the search swap references that put a SBC in a ________. Thanks.

BRAD

Comment

I agree with your comment about hard to use.
                          But it is the forum members that are making it hard to search.
                          Multiple threads started with bizarre header names (sometimes).
                          Shoot, there are at least five threads started for the recent Georgia State meet.
                          Try and search for that two years from now.
                          Seventeen ways to list a thread for engine swapping makes it darned hard to go back and look.
                          And making them 'stickys' also has it's own peril.
                          If there ends up being a full page of sticky's, then just getting to the forum is a pita.
                          One man's opinion.
                          Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by bradnree

I find the search very difficult to use. Try "engine swap", try anything, correct me If I'm wrong. Show me the search swap references that put a SBC in a ________. Thanks.
                          BRAD
                          http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
                          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

There would be so many ways to enter SBC engine swap: engine swap, sbc, sbc engine swap, lark engine swap. I wonder what would make it easier, how could we change the "topic" entry to work better in the search (library) area. Mr. Shaw can help us I'm sure.

BRAD

Comment

What is a "sticky" ?

I tried to search that too.

BRAD

Comment

Working...
                              X