224 motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 224 motor

can a 259 or a 289 crank be installed in a 224 block.

Sure can.

Comment

Also have to use same the pistons which go with the crank. Everything else works fine.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
      PackardV8

Comment

The timing marks on the vibration damper will be off a little bit because the 224 crank keyway was cut to advance the cam timing for those engines.

Dwain G.
        AL SORAN RACING

Comment

Great piece of info, Dwain. I've owned a 224" for twenty-five years and didn't know the cam was advanced. Is it the 224" crank gear, cam gear or the location of the keyway in the crankshaft or in the damper hub different from a 259" or 289"?

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
          PackardV8

Comment

Yes, every year or two someone discovers the cam specs for the 224's and thinks they have discovered a stock, 'secret' hot cam. But when you look at part numbers, everything except the crank is the same as other V8s.
            As I'm sure you know Jack, that's an old trick used to give a small displacement engine more low end torque. Offset keys for cam gears are still sold, and I sometimes wonder why I never hear of anyone using them in a Stude.

Dwain G.
            AL SORAN RACING

Comment

Chrysler has a set of offset keys for the Stude cam but you have to buy them in a set and it is about $35-40. Ted would have the P/N's.

Comment

Hi, Dwain,

Just to get my mind right on this, exactly what is different which makes the pointer on the 224" read differently on the front balance damper when the damper is installed on a 259"/289"? Is the keyway on a 224" crank cut at a different location?

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
                PackardV8

Comment

Yes it is. That's the only piece that's different. Camshaft, timing gears, and keys are the same as other V8s. As far as I know, all 224 vibration dampers have part no. 536563 stamped right after the IN. OP. 1

Dwain G.
                  AL SORAN RACING

Comment

Working...
                  X