No announcement yet.

Brake Fluid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They both have their advantages and disadvantages.

DOT3 is hygroscopic. Any moisture/humidity that gets in to the system will be evenly dispersed through the fluid. You will get no pocket of moisture to plug the line if it freezes. The moisture in the line will eventually, if you have steel lines, oxidize the line and produce the gunk 59r2 refers to. It's a non issue if you periodically flush and fill the fluid.

DOT5 is silicone and will not evenly absorb any moisture. If moisture gets in to the system it will eventually collect in a pocket. It has the potential of becoming a freeze plug, or internally rusting the steel line in an isolated spot. Again, not an issue if you occassionally flush the system. Also not an issue if your lines are stainless and you do not live in a cold climate.

There are no panaceas and nothing is maintenance proof. Choose what's best for you.

If DOT5 suits your needs, I would have no qualms about ignoring Wagner's directive.
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10,
    '51 Commander Starlight,
    '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
    '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

I have heard that the military only uses DOT 5 fluid in there vehicles and switched over to it a long time ago. It makes you wonder why, unless they felt it is superior.

Comment

Unless I am mistaken, the military does not have the same budgetary concerns as I do.

I would go with the DOT 5 for a couple bucks more, but I'd pass on the $400 toilet seat!

55 Commander
        58 Transtar
        62 GT Hawk
        66 Cruiser

Comment

Working...
        X