Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• curt
    replied
    Paul, I do not want 14 inch rims or tires on the Studebaker. That 14 inch tire/rim combo was used to see if a new set of tires would remove a vibration and they did. The 14 " rims were off my 1985 Ranger,the 14 " tires are back on my Ranger. I agree the diameter change would change the spedo,odo, final gear ratio, etc. I have new ( 1 1/2 years ago) 15 inch rims on the Studebaker.

Leave a comment:

replied
    quote:Originally posted by curt

My car has 205 75r 15 tires at the present time. I put 195 75r 14 tires on it from my Ranger truck (tires and rims ). The car was so much easier to turn, at parking speeds, with the 195 vs 205 tire width. Will the 195 width be OK,and safe? JPD on a previous chat put up a URL on vintage Tire Sizes. This chart calls for a 205 width on a 1955 President.
    The 195x75x14 is considerably smaller in circumference than a 205x75x15 (or a 195x75x15). It will throw your speedometer off by a pretty large margin. Why would you want such a small tire when the original tires on a '55 President were 7.10x15? A friend of mine runs 225x75x15s on his '55 Champion with no problems and they look good at that size.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
    '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
    '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
    Museum R-4 engine
    1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
    1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)

Leave a comment:

• Dick Steinkamp
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by Scott
    Even these used but decent tires make the car look a little more respectable.
    I know what you mean. I just picked up a set of 8.55 15's. I never even heard of that size [:0]. They are nearly new reproductions. Generally used on bigger cars than Studes, but I think they will do OK on the earlier Studes with the 5" wheels (unless Bob Palma objects to them ). Not the PERFECT Stude tire, but will make a future one look and drive better.

Glad to hear the Daytona is running good. Hopefully the brakes on the GT are better also.

Leave a comment:

• Scott
    replied
    Hi Dick!

I did not know that 1955 rims are 5 inches wide. It sure seems strange that later cars went to 4 1/2 (except for some really late cars). What are the Halibrands? Four and 1/2?

I got 6 ply tires only because they were available and really cheap. If you remember that 1965 Daytona I'm sort of working on (it runs really well, by the way), the old tires were cracked and totally unusable. Even these used but decent tires make the car look a little more respectable.

Leave a comment:

• curt
    replied
    The Ranger tires 195's were NEW last week (they are on 14 inch rims). The 205's are on 15 inch rims. The 205 tires are on new rims from that suplier in Texas, I purchased them,say 16 months ago. I purchased them because people indicate the old rims can not,or may not be able to, handel the stress radial tires can place on old rims. I think that is true.

Leave a comment:

• N8N
    replied
    I believe the reason 205's are typically recommended for replacement of the original 6.70-15s is for the overall diameter, not the width. The 6.70s are narrower than either.

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Leave a comment:

• Dick Steinkamp
    replied
    205's are marginal on a late 4 1/2" Stude rim, but not on a 5" 1955 rim.

The sample 205 75's I checked on Tire Rack's web site had a tread width of 6.6" and the 195 75's were 6.5". I don't believe you would notice that 1/10 of an inch parking. I would not like the look of the 195's on that car. Too much air in the wheel wells.

I would agree with buddymander that there are some other variables working with your test of the Ranger tires.

Like anything else, tire selection involves compromises. I'm not sure 6 ply truck tires would be my FIRST choice , but it all depends on what the priorities are in your selection criteria.

Leave a comment:

• Scott
    replied
    I have recently had or have Studebakers with both those sizes. I believe the 195s do steer easier and I feel better about the old rims not being overstressed. They're hard to find, but I have manged to find used 6-ply truck 195s. I suppose the 205s should be a little more positive in the traction department, but since I am not a racer, I don't think it's a huge advantage over the 195s.

Leave a comment:

• buddymander
    replied
    Are you sure the tire pressure was the same? Also, did the ranger tires have any wear on the outside of the tread? Did the tire set in farther? There must be some other explanation besides just going from a 205 to a 195.

Leave a comment:

• curt
    started a topic 195 75r 15 tires on a 1955 president

195 75r 15 tires on a 1955 president

My car has 205 75r 15 tires at the present time. I put 195 75r 14 tires on it from my Ranger truck (tires and rims ). The car was so much easier to turn, at parking speeds, with the 195 vs 205 tire width. Will the 195 width be OK,and safe? JPD on a previous chat put up a URL on vintage Tire Sizes. This chart calls for a 205 width on a 1955 President.
Working...
X