Chevy AT swap.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:Originally posted by S2DSteve

The Stude motor is heavier and the motor mounts are about 4" further forward than the smallblock.
    Thank you!

Who needs Detroit Muscle when you've got a "South Bend Bullet"?

Comment

Hippie,
      I believe you are on the right track with the mid mount added to the front and rear. Although, I don't believe you would have to concern yourself with making an overly stout mount for the bellhousing due to the fact that you already have two other mount locations to absorb the loads. The mid mount will not be taking much stress as a result. A couple of ears bolted to the bellhousing bolts should be more than enough.
      sals54

Comment

quote:Originally posted by sals54

Hippie,
        I believe you are on the right track with the mid mount added to the front and rear. Although, I don't believe you would have to concern yourself with making an overly stout mount for the bellhousing due to the fact that you already have two other mount locations to absorb the loads. The mid mount will not be taking much stress as a result. A couple of ears bolted to the bellhousing bolts should be more than enough.
        Yeah just something to to take any undue stress off the bellhousing.

Comment

The rear crossmember that goes from a-pillar to a-pillar on the Hawk
          is almost in the perfect spot for a 700R4 rear mount. I just cut off
          some of the material outside of the pinch weld and slotted the holes.
          I drilled a hole through the crossmember and used a stock GM mount. I
          dont see any advantage to a mid-mount, the GM trans is designed to be
          loaded in this way. I would be concerned about causing stress risers
          in areas the trans case was not designed to deal with.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
          '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
          Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
          http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
          I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

quote:Originally posted by sbca96

The rear crossmember that goes from a-pillar to a-pillar on the Hawk
            is almost in the perfect spot for a 700R4 rear mount.

I'm not using a 700R4.

quote:Originally posted by sbca96

I dont see any advantage to a mid-mount, the GM trans is designed to be loaded in this way. I would be concerned about causing stress risers in areas the trans case was not designed to deal with.
            The case was designed for an engine with side mounts not front mounts. I have seen cases crack in Tri-5 Chevies running stock front mounts with a rear trans mount. Besides I'd be supporting the back of the engine block, if it doesn't move the trans doesn't move.

It may all be a moot point now anyway and most of you are NOT going to like this but........ A friend who still owes me on a trade we did a while back just got a complete '67-'69 Buick 430 and he doesn't want it. It has EVERYTHING except the carb and air cleaner still on it. I had a little experience with Buicks back when I had my GTO in the 70's. I don't mean to sound like my Goat was the fastest thing around but it ran pretty good and a couple of big block Buicks showed me their tail lights. One was a friend's bone stock 455 Stage 1, that wasn't even a race it was a slaughter. The other was a very mild GS 400, it was at least close but still gave me a great respect for the big Buicks. 360 HP / 475 LbFt in a package that is probably a hair lighter than the Stude and isn't externally any larger is hard to pass up and in a light car with the 200-4R and 3.42 or 3.55 gears 20 MPG plus is not impossible. I remember some of those old land barges with 455's getting that with a TH400 and 2.something gears on bias pliy tires at 65-70 MPH.

Don't worry if it happens I won't make any changes I can't undo later and the 289 will get oiled up and stored in a safe corner.

Who needs Detroit Muscle when you've got a "South Bend Bullet"?

Comment

Those Buicks were torque monsters and I say great,go for it!
              Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

Working...
              X