X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kurtruk
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by Dwain G.

Shouldn't you have ordered #288609, or was 298965 offered as an alternate choice?

Dwain G.
    Not sure why it would be different, but #288609 is listed for convertibles. #298965 for my Starlight. (According to SI)

And again, just out of curiosity--where are these listed in the Studebaker Parts book? (47-50)

KURTRUK
    (read it backwards)

EDIT: Found it! In the Body parts catalog. Closed body: 2108- Shroud protector strip. #288609 seal and 1048X4 screw (2)
    Same listed for convertible bodies. Huh.

Leave a comment:

• Dwain G.
    replied
    Shouldn't you have ordered #288609, or was 298965 offered as an alternate choice?

Dwain G.

Leave a comment:

• rockne10
    replied
    "Nailscrew", part #1048X4 from SI for $1.50. I backed them out with vise-grips and hammered the new ones in.

Leave a comment:

• barnlark
    replied
    I thought the purpose of the seal is to keep water from running into the engine compartment and thereby onto the wires and electrical parts, etc. (as well as to keep the hood from hitting the cowl) so it has to be P shape aiming back toward the windshield, flat side down, thick part under the hood. Mine (though it's twelve years later) has the large/thicker side toward the front of the car to repel the elements back and run them down the sides of the cowl and out the inner fender. What I wasn't sure of were the nails..at first they looked like rivets molded into the cowl, so I left them under the seal since they got painted with everything else and might pull up in a big chip. Does everyone tap from underneath to get them out or just channel lock them out? BTW, SI has a diagram of how most seals should be facing in my catalog.

Leave a comment:

• tbredehoft
    replied
    I guess it's like everything else, what ever you do, someone has done it otherwise.

Tom B

Leave a comment:

• rockne10
    replied
    I agree with Bob; the thicker edge goes towards the windshield.

Leave a comment:

• tbredehoft
    replied
    The P shaped seal, the large part of the seal goes forward, toward the front of the car. Use adhesive to hold it centered on the shelf, use the nails to secure the ends.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Bothcars4.jpg[/img=left]
    Tom Bredehoft
    '53 Commander Coupe
    '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
    (Under Construction) 177 hrs.
    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
    All Indiana built cars

Leave a comment:

• BobGlasscock
    replied
    On page 33 of the shop manual '50 cars, a picture (not for seal) shows the p with the expansion to the outside edge of the hood, toward the windshield cowling.

When I got my seals for everything else on my car from Chuck at Studebakerparts.com, his website has diagrams showing proper profile installation of seals. As I recall, it took some searching to find that page, but you can always call him or Chris and they can tell you.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Leave a comment:

• bondobilly
    replied
    It was secured at the factory with nails at both sides. I cannot remember how I installed it profile wise on my old coupe. You can experiment by placing it in position with a few pieces of masking tape and see ehich way it fits. You cannot align or mount the hood without it. If you do, the hood will chip the edge of the cowl.

I know that I useed adhesive cemment and only used the nails to prevent the edges from lifting.

Leave a comment:

• kurtruk
    started a topic Help with hood to cowl seal

Help with hood to cowl seal

For my '48 Champion:
    Purchased from SI their #298965 hood to body cowl seal. Where is this part listed in the 47-50 parts book?
    Is this installed with their nail screws (#1048X4) or with weatherstrip adhesive?
    The profile is a "P" shape. Which way is this oriented on the car? Thick part toward the front of car?
    And is it centered (Front-to-back) on the surface it mounts on?

Thanks

KURTRUK
    (read it backwards)
Working...
X