Corvette brake Conversion Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corvette brake Conversion Problems

I installed corvette disc brakes using all new parts this winter. It is on my 63 Avanti and I am using synthetic brake fluid. I have bleed the thing about 20 times using every method I know (2 person, vacuum, and pressure to the m/c) the pedal is very hard and the stroke seems about right. The problem is it doesnt stop worth a darn. I test it doing 20 mph panic stops. I press the pedal as hard as I can but it just doesnt have any stopping power. I just got a new booster thinking that was the problem but I can't tell the difference when it is hooked up or not. I press my foot on the brake and started the car thinking the pedal should drop with the booster vac, but nothing. I have just about ran out of things to try. The last thing I can think of is to flush the system and use regular fluid. It also has a new corvette master cylinder and I checked that by plugging the lines. It barley moved at all and was hard as a rock. My only thought is maybe I got a bad booster????

Dan Giblin
    Cincinnati, OH
    Dan Giblin
    Cincinnati, OH

You didn't mention what year Corvette calipers you are using, whether they are single or dual piston, or if it is the correct bore master cylinder for that year.

Concentrate on the simple things first. Dan, give me a call Monday, and I'll help walk you through it.

I didn't sell Dan his parts, just wanting to help.

Here's a link to some of our different Corvette brake set ups. Go to Automotive, and then C5 and C4 brakes. Look at pages 2, 3, and 4.

http://www.electro-dynamics.com

Best regards,
    Gene

1963 Studebaker Avanti: C4 Corvette narrowed front/rear suspension, C5 13" calipers/rotors adapted to C4, Viper differential with Intrax 3.54 ratio (the snake has been charmed!), coil overs, stainless tubular frame, stainless chambered side exhaust.
    Here are two links for some pictures and information.
    Slide Show
    Magazine Article
    sigpic 1963 Studebaker Avanti: LS1 motor and T-56 transmission have been moved rearward, set up as a two seat coupe with independent rear suspension. Complex solutions for nonexistant problems.

Comment

It has c4 calipers, they are all single piston and I am using a 1.125 bore m/c.

Dan Giblin
      Cincinnati, OH
      Dan Giblin
      Cincinnati, OH

Comment

Dan,

I don't have my reference book here, but I don't remember any C4's even being an inch, more in the range of perhaps 7/8. Will look this up on Monday to check for the single piston calipers. Deal mainly with the dual pistons. If that is correct, an 1 1/8 would require a stronger force. This would work against you.

Also, leave in the silicone brake fluid, it is good for long term use, that's all I use on non-ABS cars.

The booster should draw down the pedal when in the circuit. Not questioning your ability, just going over the basics. Are you sure you have good vacuum to the unit?

Your system would require a good working Avanti booster to operate correctly. The C4 Corvettes have a large vacuum booster to work with their system.

Don't get discouraged. I've driven an Avanti with the C4 single piston calipers, and they are a great improvement over the Dunlop spot discs. You've got something to look forward to.

Best regards,
        Gene

1963 Studebaker Avanti: C4 Corvette narrowed front/rear suspension, C5 13" calipers/rotors adapted to C4, Viper differential with Intrax 3.54 ratio (the snake has been charmed!), coil overs, stainless tubular frame, stainless chambered side exhaust.
        Slide Show
        Magazine Article
        sigpic 1963 Studebaker Avanti: LS1 motor and T-56 transmission have been moved rearward, set up as a two seat coupe with independent rear suspension. Complex solutions for nonexistant problems.

Comment

Turns out I got a bad booster. I commandeered a booster from my uncles avanti and all my problems went away. She stopps on a dime now.

Dan Giblin
          Cincinnati, OH
          Dan Giblin
          Cincinnati, OH

Comment

Dan, that's good news. Glad you found the problem and are enjoying some good brakes.

You mentioned you got an Avanti booster from your uncle. Not too many people have an uncle with an Avanti. He wouldn't happen to own a couple of R3's would he?

Slide Show
            Magazine Article

Comment

I think he might have 1 or 2 R3s. Defiately glad I got the brake problem solved; it was driving me nuts.

Dan Giblin
              Cincinnati, OH
              Dan Giblin
              Cincinnati, OH

Comment

Working...
              X