Shoulda bought that Scotsman!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shoulda bought that Scotsman!!!

Well, I'm knee deep in the '56 Champion 2 door sedan hot rod porject and there's no turning back now! The engine is at Valley head having all of the machine work done. I've got the rear end done and will be putting it in with new leaf springs tomorrow. The disc brake conversion is gong forward and I have the new Halibrands and tires ready to go. I have all of the parts on had to do the front suspension except for rubber busings (Can't decide between rubber and delrin). The floors are patched and POR-15 coated. The list goes on and on . . .

Yesterday I took the chrome over to Verne's for some estimates. The valve covers and R1 air cleaner weren't too bad, the rear bumper pieces were downright resonable, but those two HUGE pieces of pot metal that surround the grille? YIKES. He took one look at them and said "I hope you've got some equity in your home" and laughed! $700-$900 for the bottom piece (lots of pits) and $175 -$300 for the top piece (which is totally pit-free).

The sad part is that when I first bought the car the SASCO webiste had BOTH of these pieces as available NOS for less than $400 for both. Needless to say I jumped on them but Dennis called back and said they couldn't find them even though the inventory said they had a couple of each. Needless to say I was really bummed out.

Rich at Studebakers Northwest has the top piece NOS but if I get the bottom one rechromed there's no way they'll look "right" together, so unless I luck into a NOS bottom piece I'll be handing over a fat wad of sweaty twenties in about 10 weeks.

Luckily I found an NOS hood ornament and trunk handle on ebay for reasonable prices--they would have been at least a couple hundred each.

SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT THE 1958 SCOTSMAN!!!!!!!!!!!

(even though I like the looks of the '56 better)

IF ANYONE HERE KNOWS WHERE I CAN FIND AN NOS BIG HUNK OF POT METAL UNDER THE GRILL ON A '56 SEDAN FOR A DECENT PRICE I WOULD BE FOREVER GRATEFUL!!!!!!!!!

That is going to be one sweet C-DAN! [].

Can you post any "in progress" pics?

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Allan, what were you quoted for the bumpers. I've been told $350 Ea ('64 Daytona).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
      1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

$400 for the 3-pc rear bumper. I am buying a '64 Hawk front bumper all done for $350 because I am not using overriders and the late Hawk bumper doesn't have the holes. $175 each for the valve covers. $225 for the R1 air cleaner. Yeah, I know I can get a repop one with a bottom plate and air filter for the same, but I just HAVE to save this original one that came with the R1 engine!

Comment

You should have asked, I could have turned you on to some one that would have done the bumpers for $250 show chrome.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Alan

You should have asked, I could have turned you on to some one that would have done the bumpers for $250 show chrome.
            It's not too late! They are holding the job till I decide on the pot metal. Does your guy do a good job with pot metal? That's the part that REALLY hurts!

THANK YOU!

Comment

If you prepare it yourself it will come out alright and be much cheaper. The cost of pot metal is not the plating but the prep work.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Alan

If you prepare it yourself it will come out alright and be much cheaper. The cost of pot metal is not the plating but the prep work.
                I'm not sure how you can prep it yourself. The process I've seen is to strip the existing chrome (acid is generally used), then the larger pits are silver soldered, then copper is plated and buffed down until the part is smooth and ready for plating.

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

Verne's told me it would be about 10 hours work on the big piece alone. I believe it. I am NOT skilled at things like body work, so I can't imagine what a botch I'd make of tackling this huge hunk of pitted pot metal.

Again! If ANYONE knows where I might find this piece NOS I would be EVER SO GRATEFUL. I don't even know who to call and I don't want to start calling and emailing every Stude vendor/collector I can find looking for something this obscure. Or maybe it's NOT that obscure? I dunno--this is my first 50's sedan . . .

Comment

Dick, The part is put in the tank and a reverse plating procedure is applied. If left in too long the pot metal disintegrates and the heavy metals are hard to get rid of and the Government is on the platers butts. So the cheap way is to grind the old plating off. Either way it is expensive and dirty. I have pot metal weld rod I use with a propane torch. It is a job I don't relish.

Comment

That big pot metal piece you seek is the one thattook my chromer 3 tries to get it looking good. Mine was in great shape and I think I gave $350.00 to get it plated. Good luck in your search.

1956 Studebaker Pelham Wagon Houston, Texas
                      Remember, \"When all is said and done. More is always said then ever done.\"

Comment

quote:Originally posted by KGlowacky

That big pot metal piece you seek is the one thattook my chromer 3 tries to get it looking good. Mine was in great shape and I think I gave $350.00 to get it plated. Good luck in your search.
                        $350? That's CHEAP! Even if yours was pit free.

Couple of questions: WHERE? and WHEN?

Comment

Working...
                        X