sneaky pete not good enough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sneaky pete not good enough

I got the [u]sneaky pete </u> to remove rear main seal but using as per instructions, I could not get seal to budge. I tried pushing with a wire rod and pulled with the sneaky pete and rotate crank at same time but to no avail. There is just not much there for the "pete" to screw into. I've been careful to not hurt seal lip and am considering taking a chance that the pan was leaking and not the seal and buttoning it all back up and see what happens! Any advice from you all that have been down this road is very appreciated. Mike

M.hopinfox/Kennesaw,Ga.
    62 Hawk
    63 Champ
    64 Commander
    64 Hawk
    jealous wife

I've done this several times and tho sometimes wondering if I was going the right way.: take a soft punch and drive one side of the brummer seal up and around the crank. You need to catch the metal "spine" of the seal and tho it may distort, mine have eventually come out....Once you can grab the other end with needle-nosed pliers...pull it down. Not a fun process and try not to damage the journal or recess..........good luck. I don't mind some criticism on this one........&lt;g&gt;

Comment

As difficult as removing the seal is I've been told that putting the new one in is the hardest part of the procedure. Any suggestions?

Joe Roberts
      '61 R1 Champ
      '65 Cruiser
      Editor of "The Down Easterner"
      Eastern North Carolina Chapter
      Joe Roberts
      '61 R1 Champ
      '65 Cruiser

Comment

As difficult as removing the seal is I've been told that putting the new one in is the hardest part of the procedure. Any suggestions?

Joe Roberts
        '61 R1 Champ
        '65 Cruiser
        Editor of "The Down Easterner"
        Joe Roberts
        '61 R1 Champ
        '65 Cruiser

Comment

Thanks for your encouragement! I'll give it a good try tomorrow.

M.hopinfox/Kennesaw,Ga.
          62 Hawk
          63 Champ
          64 Commander
          64 Hawk
          jealous wife

Comment

Get comfortable and wear safety glasses!! I just love it when the dirt and oil fall into my eyes.

Comment

Working...
            X