No announcement yet.

champion 6 bell housing swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im sure this can be the case , I just got lucky I guess. gonna pull all the wheels today and have a look at some brakes. I have a brand new master cylinder and am hoping I can get away with just some wheel cylinder kits. did I mention it took me 4 hours to fix my truck starter? there is a cast iron locating ring on the front of the truck starter which alligns the starter and holds it steady in the block and I didnt notice it till I was rebuilding the starter but this ring was broken off. the starter would just flop all over the place and there was no way to tell if it was engaged in the flywheels teeth. I ended up clamping the entire starter in my mill with the starter standing upright and drilling a series of small holes in the mounting plate of the starter right where the locating ring used to be. so at this point I had a ring of holes. I then tapped the holes to 1/4 20 thread and screwed in a long 1/4 20 set screw into each hole leaving each set screw sticking out of the starter about 1/4 inch. I then took the starter apart and tack welded each screw to the back side of the starter face plate so that they cant vibrate out. after reassembling the starter I now had a perfect 1/4 inch tall locating ring made of set screws 1/4 inch apart all the way around which fit very snugly into my bell housing. it bolted right up and works perfectly and is nice and quiet just like it should be. did take a while but I was pretty proud of it once I was done with it.

Comment

Hello Supersonictoy. I am going what you are doing today. Can you email me your phone number to royvaldez@jps.net I live in Camino,Ca. Its very close to you. I just purchased a motor for my truck. Thanks.

Comment

sure man, email sent. well I changed the fluid in my tranny and rear end today and greased every zirk on the truck and repaired my emergency brake cable and decided the smart thing for me to do was take the truck around the block with no brakes. driving the truck for the first time (with no brakes ) turned out to be less pleasant than I had anticipated. also found out how truly fried my steering colums shift mechanism is. its real hard to find the gear you want. I sure hope someone sells a column rebuild kit or is it possible to slip a top loader floor shifter in my tranny? did these trucks come with a 3 on the floor? my 30 year old fuel pump also decided to give up today and fuel started running out of the side of the pump. looks like I'm back to chasing parts again.

Comment

Hello, I have a new fuel pump for your truck. You can have it if you need it. Perhaps we can trade. Also, I have other parts. Maybe trade on balancing my bell housing to my motor.

Comment

Roy, I would be glad to give you a hand if you can get the motor down here. guess I'm about 50 miles away from you. if its a flat head 6 like mine I have a tool made up to bolt to the back of your crank to mount a dial indicator to. only issue I can see is that if your enine and bell housing are out of true your old locating bolts are now useless and cant be used in the same holes. dont know where to find larger locating bolts for redrilling of the existing holes. if you dont mind moving over and inch or so and drilling completely new holes it could be located that way. guess you could put regular bolts back in the old holes. I have to leave for work this afternoon and wont be back till tuesday of nextweek but I would be glad to give you a hand with it then. did you get my phone number? resending it. Gregg

Comment

yea, judging by what your automatic reply is telling me, my emails are being sent to your spam file because I'm not on your approved "list"...

Comment

Working...
              X