Transmiision kick down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmiision kick down

Anybody know of a way to keep the mechanical linkage on the kick down of a 3 speed flightomatic and incorporate it into a Lokar cable throttle linkage attached to an edlebrock carb? Any answers, opinions or questions would be appreciated.

Try the Lokar kickdown kit: ( For Ford)

http://www.lokar.com/product-descrip...ch-kd-kits.htm

JDP/Maryland
    JDP Maryland

Comment

Would that be the c-4 or c-6?

Comment

C-4, someone correct me if I'm wrong please.

JDP/Maryland
        JDP Maryland

Comment

Anyone else?

Comment

the FMX is stude type, but don't know what they used for kickdown.

Comment

On any FMX the kickdown is just that,its only purpose. On the Flightomatic the rod does two operations kickdown AND throttle pressure , it raises transmission mainline pressure in response to accelerator position. If mainline isn't boosted you will get early shifts doggie acceleration and soon a burnt up transmission. Same thing happens to 700R4,s and AOD,s if throttle pressure is set too low or on AOD,s failure of the upper linkage grommit{cooked by engine heat}. On Fmx prior to late 1961 the lever did the same as Flightomatics. Most or all of the parts are available why mess with the Lokar stuff? Lou Cote "Waiting for the sun" [8D]

Comment

The original linkage dosn't fit. This is an automatic car transmission in a Transtar pickup.

Comment

Why dosen,t it fit? Do you have the tall 2 barrel intake? lever for 56 to 58 2 brl. may work.

Comment

The gas pedal was bound up in the firewall and the bell crank was bent to fit. This threw everything off. I just went with an aftermarket gas pedal and Lokar throttle cable that I already installed.

Comment

Could you try a set up from a Hawk? using bellcrank and the rest of the parts. If do get the Lokar setup to work you will have to set the throttle pressure by the book using a gage. Good Luck Lou Cote [8D]

Comment

What pressure should the kickdown be under?

Comment

With a transmission pressure gauge hooked up to the line pressure port on the trans. With engine and trans warmed up place selecter in D operate engine at 1000 RPM with the rear wheels held stationary by the foot brake . Adjust the bellcrank to throttle valve lever rod to obtain 80 to 85 psi, replace 1/8 pipe plug and test drive. Lou Cote [8D] Found the sun today

Comment

I dont' believe there is a pressure port on my flightomatic.

Comment

Well before I went any further ,obtaining a shop manual would be a great help. Pressure tap plugs could be found in two locations, on my 62 Hawk it is on the left side of the case just in front of the manual/TV valve levers. On some of the later flightomatics it is located at the back of the case just above the oil pan. To be a little clearer you're looking for a 7/16 pipe plug. For shop manuals either Studebaker International or Faxon Literature {on ebay} should have what you need. Lou Cote

Comment

Working...
                              X