X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BobPalma
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by kurtruk

Let's not steer this guy wrong. (No pun intended.)

Bob Palma: Are you sure the Fairmont wheels are the same bolt circle spacing? Over the years I've heard here on this forum and elsewhere that this wheel and that wheel would fit the 47-50 Champions. Well I finally tried to settle it myself. I spent a part of a day at a self-service wrecking yard checking all the different 4-lug wheels on foreign and domestic vehicles I found. (Never found a Vega [8] Someone said that one would fit) I had a spare NOS Champion drum in my vehicle and NOTHING fit. I probably measured two dozen different vehicles. As best I could tell the spacing is probably 100mm on all of them. Not the same as Champion wheels. I tried lots of Ford models and even found the early Chrysler minivans to be the same. Close, but no fit.

I'm a little nervous questioning Bob Palma's automotive knowledge, but we need to put this to rest.

Some one must have a wheel data book that can help us.

Has someone sucessfully fit the 51 style spindle/brakes to a 50? And would that also work for the 47-49s?

KURTRUK
    (read it backwards)
    Hi, Kurt; Sorry I didn't notice this earlier. My knowledge of the Fairmont wheels working is from knowing a long-time Studebaker friend who runs Fairmont wheels on his 1950 Champion. He's an engineer by trade and a sharp cookie, so if he says they work without modification (and he does), I'm taking his word for it.

That's the only first-person knowledge I have of the application, but I have personally seen his car fitted with the Fairmont wheels. BP

Leave a comment:

• Droptopbird
    replied
    Thanks Harv. Great info. I've got a lot of good ideas now. Can't wait to get started on it.

Leave a comment:

• Harv
    replied
    Ron,

I have a '50 Champ Starlight Coupe. In 2002 I installed a fully modified Bill Cathcart 185 Engine and wanted better front brakes. He sold me a kit and I installed it. I believe that the parts were from a '55 V-8 car. All that I did was line up the furnished backing plates (with the aid of a spacer that Bill loaned me) and re-drilled the holes to match my spindle pattern. The kit had new shoes & hardware & bearings & seals and some nice used drums. I can't recall the cost but a call to Bill (860/564-5852) may be a good idea. Since then I have also installed a '51 Champ Rear End (with 3.73:1 gears). I bought 5ea 1976 Chrysler 15" x 6.5" wheels. They work great and the car runs and stops great. Hope that this helps.

Good luck, Harv [8D]

StudeBakerHarv

Leave a comment:

• Droptopbird
    replied
    Thanks guys. Jim, a spindle change and late model drums is really what I was wanting to do. Just wasn't sure what would fit. When I get ready to start I will get a hold of you. If the wifes in a good mood maybe I can talk her into a disc setup. After all, she wants to drive it when it's done. Just thinking of her.

Leave a comment:

• Alexander Feiman
    replied
    i forgot that i had installed a gm rearend so you would have to get rear axels redrilled to the same 5 bolt pattern - alf

Leave a comment:

• Alexander Feiman
    replied
    the drums can be redrilled at auto/truck machine shop and new studes installed this i did when i converted chevy 6 bolt to chevy 5 bolt alf

Leave a comment:

• vegas paul
    replied
    See? I knew Jim would have the answer (I posted above that his kit would fit, without really knowing quite how)! BTW, Jim, my 51 that I converted to 4-wheel disc with your help (and many phone calls) is working great. I couldn't be happier with the conversion. Besides, since the old wheels wouldn't fit over the rotors, it gave me a great excuse to buy 4 chrome smoothies with baby moons!

Las Vegas, NV - Stop by, coffee's on!
    '51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434

Leave a comment:

• 52 Ragtop
    replied
    The 50 Champ spindles and king pins are smaller. A later (late 52 and up) spindle WILL fit on the Champ kingpin, The difference is, the shaft where the bronze bushing fits, is a smaller diameter, but, I have found a bronze bushing that is a perfect fit both inside diameter, and outside diameter to adapt the later spindles to the 50 and 51 Champions. Also, using later spindles will lower the front end about a 1/2". Once the later spindle is installed, then you could use either the stock later drum brakes, or my disc brake kit.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• kurtruk
    replied

Let's not steer this guy wrong. (No pun intended.)

Bob Palma: Are you sure the Fairmont wheels are the same bolt circle spacing? Over the years I've heard here on this forum and elsewhere that this wheel and that wheel would fit the 47-50 Champions. Well I finally tried to settle it myself. I spent a part of a day at a self-service wrecking yard checking all the different 4-lug wheels on foreign and domestic vehicles I found. (Never found a Vega [8] Someone said that one would fit) I had a spare NOS Champion drum in my vehicle and NOTHING fit. I probably measured two dozen different vehicles. As best I could tell the spacing is probably 100mm on all of them. Not the same as Champion wheels. I tried lots of Ford models and even found the early Chrysler minivans to be the same. Close, but no fit.

I'm a little nervous questioning Bob Palma's automotive knowledge, but we need to put this to rest.

Some one must have a wheel data book that can help us.

Has someone sucessfully fit the 51 style spindle/brakes to a 50? And would that also work for the 47-49s?

KURTRUK
    (read it backwards)

Leave a comment:

• Droptopbird
    replied
    I'm in Barnsdall, 35 miles North of Tulsa. Email me and let me know where you are at and we can figure something out. Thanks for the post.

Ron

Leave a comment:

• Carl Purdy
    replied
    Hey Droptopbird. What part of Oklahoma are you in. I'm 22 miles west of Tulsa. I have some drums off a 56 Commander you can have. Just for hauling them off. IF they will work.

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2
    As soon as you find a product you like they will stop making it.

Leave a comment:

replied
    quote:Originally posted by Droptopbird

53K,
    This may be a stupid question but what years/models are the finned drums on?
    Not a stupid question at all. I'm not even sure myself. I'm thinking they were offered on '56 and later Hawks and on sedans with drum brakes and 289 engines. I know my '64 Daytona convertible with a 289 has them and I remember that my '61 Cruiser 259 did not have them. All the disk brake cars had finned rear drums ('63 and later), but they were different than the ones used on drum brake cars. Hopefully someone will correct me or authenticate my thoughts.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
    '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
    '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
    Museum R-4 engine
    1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
    1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)

Leave a comment:

• Droptopbird
    replied
    53K,

This may be a stupid question but what years/models are the finned drums on?

Ron

Leave a comment:

replied
    quote:Originally posted by Droptopbird

I have a 50 with 4 lug wheels. What is the fastest and cheapest way to change to 5 lugs to accept custom wheels?
    It may not be the fastest or easiest, but you might want to convert to the later wheels/drums/brakes. Muray Welsh of the Potomac Chapter converted his 50 Champion to the finned drums/5-lug wheels. I could be wrong, but I think he only had to change the backing plates, the finned drums fit ok.
    You would gain much improved brakes.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
    '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
    '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
    Museum R-4 engine
    1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
    1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)

Leave a comment:

• Droptopbird
    replied
    Thanks guys for all of the info. I owned and drove this Champion about 10 years ago and then gave it to my Brother inlaw when I bought a 53 starliner. It has set for all of that time. I want to get it going again and redo the interior and for now primer the exterior. I'm just wanting to put on a set of custom wheels but would like to maintain as much original drivetrain as I can. For now my money is going into my 67 Firebird conv. and I'm sure the wife has better plans for my loose change. I will check in to Turner's set up and also the Fairmont style wheels. I'm sure I will be bugging you guys again.

Thanks, Ron

Leave a comment:

Working...
X