4 lug wheels to 5 lugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 lug wheels to 5 lugs

I have a 50 with 4 lug wheels. What is the fastest and cheapest way to change to 5 lugs to accept custom wheels?

Thanks, Ron

A custom adapter. A few ebay sellers CNC any kind you want. They will offset the wheel out about 3/4 inches.

JDP/Maryland
    JDP Maryland

Comment

If you have ever considered disc brakes, Jim Turner's set-up would get you to a 5-lug configuration.

Las Vegas, NV - Stop by, coffee's on!
      '51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434

Comment

The Turner setup only fits 51 and up I believe.

JDP/Maryland
        JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Droptopbird

I have a 50 with 4 lug wheels. What is the fastest and cheapest way to change to 5 lugs to accept custom wheels?

Thanks, Ron
          Ron: I'm not sure of your intentions or desires for the car, but keep this in mind: You can use 4-bolt wheels from a Ford Fairmont on the car; the bolt pattern and bolt circle diameter are the same.

With that in mind, you might be able to select some custom wheels marketed for Ford products of the Fairmont era that had 4-lug wheels. That would save you a lot of time, not to mention the expense of custom-made adapters that would widen the car's track and likely alter its handling characteristics. 1950 Champions are pretty sensitive to such changes.

Just a thought. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
          "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

BP

Just to add some more info.... If the Fairmont wheel will fit, then any wheel from a Mustang, T-bird, or any other "Fox" platform Ford, of that same era, until they went back to the 5 lug pattern, should also fit. Make sure you don't mistakenly get any of those stupid TRX wheel and tire combos. Those tires (metric size) are difficult to find, and if you do they are very expensive.[xx(] Hope this info helps.

Dan Miller
            Atlanta, GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
            Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

The Turner set-up will fit pre 51 if you procure a few 51 or later parts, easily done. I think this includes the king pins. Jim is very knowledgable and helpful and would steer you in the right direction to make this work, if this solution interests you.

Las Vegas, NV - Stop by, coffee's on!
              '51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434

Comment

Thanks guys for all of the info. I owned and drove this Champion about 10 years ago and then gave it to my Brother inlaw when I bought a 53 starliner. It has set for all of that time. I want to get it going again and redo the interior and for now primer the exterior. I'm just wanting to put on a set of custom wheels but would like to maintain as much original drivetrain as I can. For now my money is going into my 67 Firebird conv. and I'm sure the wife has better plans for my loose change. I will check in to Turner's set up and also the Fairmont style wheels. I'm sure I will be bugging you guys again.

Thanks, Ron

Comment

It may not be the fastest or easiest, but you might want to convert to the later wheels/drums/brakes. Muray Welsh of the Potomac Chapter converted his 50 Champion to the finned drums/5-lug wheels. I could be wrong, but I think he only had to change the backing plates, the finned drums fit ok.
                  You would gain much improved brakes.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
                  '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
                  '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
                  '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
                  Museum R-4 engine
                  1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
                  1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)
                  Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                  '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

53K,

This may be a stupid question but what years/models are the finned drums on?

Ron

Comment

53K,
                      This may be a stupid question but what years/models are the finned drums on?
                      Not a stupid question at all. I'm not even sure myself. I'm thinking they were offered on '56 and later Hawks and on sedans with drum brakes and 289 engines. I know my '64 Daytona convertible with a 289 has them and I remember that my '61 Cruiser 259 did not have them. All the disk brake cars had finned rear drums ('63 and later), but they were different than the ones used on drum brake cars. Hopefully someone will correct me or authenticate my thoughts.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
                      '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
                      '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
                      '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
                      Museum R-4 engine
                      1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
                      1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)
                      Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Hey Droptopbird. What part of Oklahoma are you in. I'm 22 miles west of Tulsa. I have some drums off a 56 Commander you can have. Just for hauling them off. IF they will work.

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2
                        As soon as you find a product you like they will stop making it.

Comment

I'm in Barnsdall, 35 miles North of Tulsa. Email me and let me know where you are at and we can figure something out. Thanks for the post.

Ron

Comment

Let's not steer this guy wrong. (No pun intended.)

Bob Palma: Are you sure the Fairmont wheels are the same bolt circle spacing? Over the years I've heard here on this forum and elsewhere that this wheel and that wheel would fit the 47-50 Champions. Well I finally tried to settle it myself. I spent a part of a day at a self-service wrecking yard checking all the different 4-lug wheels on foreign and domestic vehicles I found. (Never found a Vega [8] Someone said that one would fit) I had a spare NOS Champion drum in my vehicle and NOTHING fit. I probably measured two dozen different vehicles. As best I could tell the spacing is probably 100mm on all of them. Not the same as Champion wheels. I tried lots of Ford models and even found the early Chrysler minivans to be the same. Close, but no fit.

I'm a little nervous questioning Bob Palma's automotive knowledge, but we need to put this to rest.

Some one must have a wheel data book that can help us.

Has someone sucessfully fit the 51 style spindle/brakes to a 50? And would that also work for the 47-49s?

KURTRUK
                            (read it backwards)
                            KURTRUK
                            (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

The 50 Champ spindles and king pins are smaller. A later (late 52 and up) spindle WILL fit on the Champ kingpin, The difference is, the shaft where the bronze bushing fits, is a smaller diameter, but, I have found a bronze bushing that is a perfect fit both inside diameter, and outside diameter to adapt the later spindles to the 50 and 51 Champions. Also, using later spindles will lower the front end about a 1/2". Once the later spindle is installed, then you could use either the stock later drum brakes, or my disc brake kit.

Jim
                              "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                              their Memorials!

Comment

Working...
                              X