Hood Springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hood Springs

I just found a pair of hood springs I bought. I was thinking of taking them down to my buddy who is putting the hood back on. I just noticed that the two springs are not exacltly the same length. The long end is about 1/2 inch longer, and the bottom length is 3/8th longer. Does it make that much difference?

The main spring area is identical.

TIA

if it's like my 55 c-body,the long end goes to the fender...

Comment

quote:Originally posted by stan zoerner

if it's like my 55 c-body,the long end goes to the fender...
      I fully understand that. What I am saying is that the two springs I bought are NOT the same length and wonder if the unequal length would afftect hood alignment

Comment

I bought 2 hood springs for the 48. And they are nothing like the ones that come off of it. The side that hooks to the hood is not long enough. The hood seams to be working alright without any springs at all. When I got the car it only had one hood spring.

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2
        As soon as you find a product you like they will stop making it.

Comment

Bill,
          Maybe I don't quite understand the problem.

There are 4 hood springs.

2 go vertically from each side of the hinge area to a lower bracket.

2 go horizontally from the hinge area to the inner fender.

They look similar. Here they are on Chuck's page...

https://www.studebakerparts.com/stud...re/s/agora.cgi

(284505P and 308907P)

Are you looking at one of each of the springs or what is supposed to be two of the same PN?

If the latter, I would guess it WOULD matter.

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

Bill,
            Are you looking at one of each of the springs or what is supposed to be two of the same PN?

If the latter, I would guess it WOULD matter.
            Two of the same part number, the main hood spring that goes down to the vent door area. The main spring area (amount of turns) is identical, but the trailing ends, both the long side and the short side are 1/2 and 3/8 different. Even the radius of the curve that does the hooking is different.

I doubt there would be any issue in returning them but if there will be no issue on the hood alignment I will put them in.

Comment

Stumps me, I think there must be a reason,unless it may have been packaged wrong? Do you have a factory parts book that shows a pic? Would the factory directions on installing and aligning the hood have apic that you could magnify? My eyes are not as good as they used to be[xx(]

Comment

Here are the two springs:

As you can se why I question if they would affect hood alignment.

Comment

You probably wouldn't notice the difference if both were installed, but if you paid for them to be the correct ones they should at least match for your car. I'd call and have them measure their other ones and send the wrong one back and get the postage back, too. Somebody should have caught that when packed.

Comment

maybe it's for right or left handed hood openers?

Comment

It looks like the over-all length is the same,coils the same,no problem.I'd put them on. I really don't think they have much to do with hood aligment,they just 'help' the hinges work correctly. Lousy setup though,who ever saw a hood hinge with 2 springs which do not in any way help to counter balance the weight of the hood??[V]
                      4 little springs hold the deck lid up.[:0]

Oglesby,Il.
                      "Studebaker? It must be hard to find parts for those!"
                      Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Working...
                      X