Looking for a "63 or '64 4 core radiator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a "63 or '64 4 core radiator

I am putting AC in my '64 R1 Hawk and took the radiator in a local shop to get it recored thinking I could go from a 3 row to a 4 row core. The guy says no way not enough width on the bottom. I believe factory AC cars used a 4 row, but maybe I am mistaken. Anyone know for sure or where to get one? Otherwise I will have to go custom Al radiator.

Thanks

Dan White
    64 R1 GT
    64 R2 GT
    Dan White
    64 R1 GT
    64 R2 GT
    58 C Cab
    57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

I think I had a 4-row in my 56J, if that helps any...

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Factory A/C equipped cars had two row radiators. What they have done is to space out the rows on newer style radiators, and go to three row radiators. I think that the radiator guys think that there was an airflow prob. with the origonal. I used to know all of the numbers, but the part time memory unit on my shoulders has crashed.
      I live in Houston, and have a V-8 with AC. Three row radiator, and no problems. The radiator has been redone, and works fine. Fan clutch, and 6 blade fan help. Spacer to get the fan into the shroud helps also. Using just a fan clutch, and no spacer, leaves the fan outside the fan shroud enough to suck air in from the sides.

Comment

There were no factory 4 row radiators, but it can be done. It has been my experience that factory installed AC '63 & '64's had 3 row cores, one more than std. and they fit fine, the part #'s in the Catalog bear this out.

Now that the Radiator shops can no longer buy the cores with the header plate welded on, they have to buy bare core and pay someone else to assemble it before they can install it. Adding a 3rd. party is costing us about $100.00 or more than it did before!

It is now cheaper to have a complete new aluminum radiator built than to re-core an old one! [V]

StudeRich
        Studebakers Northwest
        Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

WHERE would one shop for a new aluminum radiator instead of a recore?Thanks!

Comment

Griffin Rad. They have the pattern and also size a A/C condenser for you. Just be sitting down when they tell the price. I have one for my 56 and it works and looks great.

1956 Studebaker Pelham Wagon Houston, Texas
            Remember, \"When all is said and done. More is always said then ever done.\"

Comment

Working...
            X