The simple things.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The simple things.

I was just about to come in from my day of work and start asking a lot of things to you guys and gals out there in cyber world about why my Lark was stuttering and skipping. Is it the timing, possibly water in the fuel tank, etc, etc.

Then, it occurred to me. Didn't I buy this car so I could work on it? I got rid of a 2004 as a daily driver that I could barely change the oil in to get something that was just back to the basics.

Well, I popped the hood, looked inside and thought I'd start with the carb. I pulled the air cleaner out and gave the little gas while looking listening and looking at the carb. Gas and air getting to the cylinders, I figured I'd check on plug wires as an easy thing to trouble shoot. Well, I didn't get out the ohm meter, but when I saw the wire closest to the firewall arcing out, I figured it was time to change wires.

Well, the wires looked good, the previous owner did a good job of cleaning up the engine bay before selling it to me. However, 7 of 9 wires, had broken connectors or were rubbed raw from time.

32 dollars at (insert random auto parts place here) I had some decent plug wires and less than 30 minutes later, I was done. I'd love to take a bet from one of the punk kids in my town that drive a Honda being able to diagnose a problem, go and buy the parts and install them in just over 35 minutes have it running correctly.

I know this was an easy fix and I'm not knocking Honda's,(or tootin my own horn) it just takes me back to a simpler time where a car owner actually had tools in his car and knew how to use them. With some electrical tape, an assorted set of sockets, and hand tools, car owners could save themselves a tow home and a pocket full of change.

I'm not usually this happy when doing routine maintenance to my car, but the newness hasn't worn off yet. Which is strange, b/c it is a 47 year old car. Between you and I, I hope it never does.

Kel

1961 Studebaker Lark VIII. 6x,xxx miles from the factory. Daily driven.

Exactly! I attempted to change the shocks on my Brand "X" 1 ton a few years back and spent 2.5 hours attempting to remove one shock (using conventional tools). [xx(] Definitely not made for a "weekend warrior" to work on. [:0] "Nuff of that, so off to the shop it went to get the job done by someone with all of the gadgets and special tools to do that job.

Fast forward to this past winter and Mr. GJ got not only a new set of shocks, but the springs revived and new bushings all around. All told, I probably spent about 6 hours puttering about on these tasks and getting a great feeling of satisfaction as I'm certainly no mechanic and don't have many special tools. But it sure feels good to accomplish something like this. [8D]

Has been many years since I fooled around with an old vehicle and getting to know all the bits and pieces is 1/2 the fun. [^] Who'd ever have thought of getting a Studebaker as a "stress reliever" [?]

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar Deluxe
    Vancouver Island
    </h5>
    Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander
    Zone Coordinator
    Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

To give an example of past exploits, I had to drop the tank on the truck to paint and refurbish, and drop the tank on the Lark to replace. No biggie, remove lines, a few nuts and they can be moved(well wrestled) out of and into both vehicles just by dropping them from the mounts. They were an afternoon at the least by my lonesome. To remove the one from a 95 GMC Jimmy we had it took at the minimum, not one, but more like twooo weekends to get this out just to change out their sender and pump that hang from the top of the tank. Well, once its out theirs very little wiggle room to get them back in because the vehicle had the tank and then the body was dropped over top of it, making reinstall a literal impossibility. Plus, between the two vehicles, those two are the ones I swear I can have apart with just a couple of SAE sockets from my socket set, and a couple of screwdrivers.

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
      1950 Studebaker 2R5 with 170 turbocharged
      [img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00003.jpg?t=1171152673[/img=left]
      [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00009.jpg?t=1171153019[/img=right]
      [img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00002.jpg?t=1171153180[/img=left]
      [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00005.jpg?t=1171153370[/img=right]
      1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
      1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
      1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
      1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Try putting front shocks on a new ford pickup.

Comment

I just replaced the heater core in my wifes expitition. It only took an hour. Of course this was after the 3 hours lowering the strg. column, removing the console (is this spelled right?), removing the complete dash, etc. And it didn't include the 3 hour to put it back together. Total=7 hours. It took me almost 30 min. to put the one in my 53 Stude. Why do I likum so much? Go figure.

Tex in Alabama
          53 CCoupe

Tex E. Grier

Comment

Working...
          X