Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

1950 Champion tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1950 Champion tires

What modern equlivent tire can I use on my '50 Champion? Do I have to use the "640-15" and if so where may I find a good quality tire. Thanks, Tom LaMartina

Tom LaMartina

Coker tire, Tom. Not cheap, but correct.
    The closest thing in a newfangled radial would be a 195-75X15 Radial's actually will make your car nicer driving than the old bias ply donuts.

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Comment

Many states now collect state sales tax from vendors at flea markets in their state. If you don't live in a state that the vendor has a business presence in, you could avoid the state sales tax by having the tires shipped to you, but then you would have to pay shipping.

Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

If you go with the 195X75, be reminded that your speedometer is going to show 60 mph when you're actually going 55 (compared to the 6.40 tire) and you'll probably increase the engine speed by approximately 200 rpm at 60 mph. Oh, your odometer will read optomistically also. There may be speedometer pinion gears that would correct the speedo and odometer but won't change the rpm increase. If you have overdrive, that alone would probably make it a bit more responsive. It's pretty much impossible to find ordinary radial auto tires with a 100% aspect ratio any more. To get a comparable tire height with the 6.40, you'll need to go to something like a 215X75 which may be too wide for your fenders as well as your stock rims.

Comment

Working...
          X