engine identity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine identity

i looked some #'s up on a motor i came across and they came up as a studebaker motor. now im not sure this is correct and was wondering if anyone could help.Here are all the #'s i could find. On the Block 535601
    head 585976 and inside the head L5 2 and L5 3
    Crank U52
    on the crank bearing caps 277067

Thats all i have

thanks if anyone can help Dave[8]

Are you sure about the head number? If the 8 was really a 3, you would have a 59-60 Studebaker V8 head. This number would be on the top of the middle exhaust port. There are only 3 exhaust ports, as the two center cylinders are shared in the center port. The only real way to be sure would be to get the serial number from the block, a stamped, not cast number, on the front corner of the valve valley, very likely starting with a V or a P, followed by 5 or six digits. Studebaker used a capitol i for the numeral 1. Get that number and you can find out a lot more.

Comment

535601 is the block casting number used from 1955 to mid '62. You found that number at the right front of the block. Now look for the stamped number at the left front for a more positive I.D. I think it's going to be about a 1957-'58 engine.
      I think 'whacker' is right: the head casting number is 535976. Those can get hard to read, being partially burned off due to their location right over the hottest exhaust ports.

Dwain G.
      AL SORAN RACING

Comment

Its going to be a few days till i can look at the motor again i have it off site. but if it turns out to be what you are saying is there any value for it to any of you fellows or am i better off just junking it for scrap????

Comment

I'm sure it has some value to someone, if only as a source of spare parts. A 289 (engine serial number begins with a 'P') will probably be more sought after than a 259 ('V' prefix).

Dwain G.
          AL SORAN RACING

Comment

OK here are the numbers on my motor PS5I36 so its aparently a 289 and i was wondering if anyone wants it? im just outside philly can maybe work out a delivery deal within reason. just trying to get more for the motor than the scrap price so lets say start at $100 bucks for the motor plus delivery if needed. Let me remind all that its missing oil pan, valve covers, and intake manifold. Motor is super clean inside no gunk or carbon buld up anyplace

Daave

Comment

That serial range is for a 57 Golden Hawk 289 with supercharger...looks like someone swapped the low compression heads to make up for removing the SC.

63VY4 Leakin' Lena Hagerstown MD

Comment

Hmmmmmm

Comment

Dave:
                  does it have the exhaust manifolds
                  Art

Comment

art im sorry it does not

Daave

Comment

Working...