Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hard shifting problem with 3 on the tree..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard shifting problem with 3 on the tree..

I have a problem with a 1959 silver hawk 6 cylinder. 3 on the tree with over drive. I have a hard time getting from 1st and reverse to 2nd and 3rd. I have greased the shifting levers by the firewall in every location. Moved it back and forth several times. Not much help. It will not drop from 1st and reverse to 2nd and 3rd on the shifting lever. Oil in the transmission is right. And no problem getting into overdrive. The shifting lever mechanism by the steering wheel has been replaced with a new one. Not by me by someone else. So this must have been a problem at sometime. Please if anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.

You might check the adjustment of the linkage from the steering column to the shift arms on the transmission. If the transmission is not in neutral internally, it would be difficult to shift. Disconnect the shifting linkage at the trans or steering column and see if the problem goes away.

Comment

Doug's right. Disconnect both the shift rods from the tranny levers. Set the two levers to neutral, then set the shifter to neutral and carefully (without moving the shifter rods around so as to screw up the neutral point you've set the shift lever to) adjust the clevis' on the ends of the rods to where the match the bushings in the trans levers so that the pins slide right in.
      The other possibility is gooey, delapidated motor mounts (front or rear). Such can play hell with the shifter rods and levers.
      A third possibility is the shift tubes in the column. NOS ones or a good used one shouldn't be too hard to find.

Miscreant adrift in
      the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
      X