Steering "Shock Absorber"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering "Shock Absorber"

I found old postings regarding part #770271 at SASCO. This was the repro of the steering stabilizer shock offered for dealer installation on Hawks in the early 60's. It was a good cure for shimmy which plagued some cars, including the '57 Golden Hawk I once owned.

I called SASCO in early January, told it was out of stock "for a few months". Today Dennis told me they hadn't sold one in past five years and were unlikely to restock. You can't fault them for not investing in something they can't be reasonably sure of selling.

Any alternative source?
    Gil Zimmerman
    Riverside, CA

1955 Speedster
    1956 Golden Hawk
    1958 Packard Hawk
    1958 President
    1963 Avanti R2

Greetings, riversidevw,

I've got a generic kit which has been on the shelf since back in the day. It was a common problem back then and rumor has it Studebaker bought the same kit for their use. E-mail me off list at [u]packardv8@comcast.net</u> and I'll make you a right price on it.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
    PackardV8

Comment

Old VW's, maybe the bus, used a steering damper that looked like a pint sized airplane style shock absorber.

I made one of those work drilling a bolt hole in the front edge of the crossmember flange (where the leaking engine oil accumulates, and making a bracket to clamp the other end to the bell crank. It worked.

Comment

Hi, Skyway,

You are correct about the VW. As I mentioned earlier, as radial tires and higher speeds came along, manufacturers were still using old bias ply front end geometry without sufficient caster. The steering stabilizers were a common fix to control steering wheel shake.

I've got a VW steering stabilizer on the shelf also. When I couldn't get the Stude kits any more, I bought a VW, but my Avanti has PS and I went custom with my Hawk. I've got a NOS one of each now, if anyone is interested.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
        PackardV8

Comment

Hello Packard v8 and skyway I would like to tryout a steeringdamper on my car .
          Overhere there are enough VW damper sfor sale, my car is rhd no ps.
          Question is where and how to put it on.
          Hope you have some pics too?
          lmwaterreus,the Netherlands

Comment

62 RHD,

Sorry for my delay in responding.

I put that VW damper on my Hawk a long time ago, and, in addition, its been in storage for 10 years. I'll look more closely the next time I am with the car, but my best recollection is as follows:

I drilled a hole in the crossmember flange to the side of centerline, so that with the wheels straight ahead, the damper angled from the crossmember over to the bellcrank at about 45 degrees. This was a power steering car with the PS removed, and I can't remember which arm of the bellcrank I fastened to, but the fastener was just a couple of straps of steel and 2 bolts to clamp with.

Remember, the damper has to be positioned with enough range to accomplish both right and left hand turns. Hope this helps.

Gary

Comment

Working...
            X