Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locating Engine and trans Numbers

Hi,

I'm a new Studebaker owner - just bought a 1955 pickup, an E7-17 pickup, which in researching things was a V-8 truck. In going through the truck and talking with the previous owner, it has the 259 V8 with an overdrive trans; believe this is probably a transplant, so I'd like to research the engine/trans numbers so I can know what I'm working with. Need some info from you experts:

- where can I locate the engine and trans numbers?

- second, are there any good sites where I can research these numbers to find where the engine and trans came from (want to start restoration)

Engine is running but rough, and I'd like to get smart on the engine, and how the 3 spd/OD works (shift linkage on column is inop; would like to find a floor shifter)

any help out there please?

thanks,
    Jim

Jim,

WELCOME!

You have come straight to the source.

Before everyone tells you you should join SDC to receive the GREAT monthly magazine, join your local Chapter and purchase the appropriate chassis catalogs, let me say...you should.

Engine # should be stamped in to a boss to the driver's side of the thermostat.

A copy of the original build sheet is available if you provide the Studebaker National Museum with the vehicle serial number. This will tell you if anything has been changed.

There are others who can help much more than I. You will hear from them directly. Come back and visit often.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Here is where you will find the engine #:

The first 2 digits tell you the engine type, for truck motors:
      3E = Std. 259; 5E = HD 259; 6E = HD 289; 7E = Std. 289. All are V8's of course.
      I take it from your comments the transmission is a 3 spd. O/D unit. The Transmission model number is on the driver's side of the case above the area where the shifting forks protrude from the case. Should be a "T-xx" model which will be cast into the case.

I strongly recommend you consult one of the Stude vendors and get a Parts Manual and a Shop Manual for your Truck. You can research Vendors here:
      http://www.studebakervendors.com/

Info on the Borg Warner O/D transmission is available at:
      http://www.tocmp.com/manuals/trans/B...rive/index.htm

Last, but not least, if you have not already done so, Join the Studebaker Driver's Club! Another essential "to do" to get the most enjoyment out of owning your Studebaker. [^] Welcome to the Forum!

<h5>Mark
      '57 Transtar
      3E-6/7-122
      </h5>
      Mark Hayden
      '66 Commander

Comment

Once you find the engine number, you should be able to cross reference it here...

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tech_v8data.asp

...to find out what it was originally installed in. Studebaker V8's from 1951-1964 are essentially the same, so if it was a transplant, it was a simple one. 259's were made from 1955-1964. Some subtle differences in the oiling system.

It is probably next to impossible to find a floor shifter for an OD trans. The OD unit messed with the installation of a typical 50's and 60's aftermarket 3 speed floor shifter. Depending upon the type of trans, you may be able to adapt a Jeep shifter. The easiest solution is to troubleshoot the column shifter...find out what is needed to get it working, and repair it.

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

I also suspect that it is an E7-12, which would be a V-8 equipped 1/2 ton truck on a 112" wheelbase. Welsome aboard!

http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

thanks to all of you for the help. Took your advice and have joined SDC. Am looking forward to getting to work and having a nice drive to Lancaster PA for the Stude gathering this Fall

thanks,
            Jim

Comment

Excellent Jim... be sure to post some pics of your truck.

<h5>Mark
              '57 Transtar
              3E-6/7-122
              </h5>
              Mark Hayden
              '66 Commander

Comment

Working...
              X