No announcement yet.

1952 Chrome stinks - (an update)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know you may be to far along, but how about a 51 front clip on it.?
    Klif

55 Speedster
    55 Speedster/Street Machine
    63 Avanti R2
    64 Convertible R1

Comment

Michidan,

I just now saw this on Craigslist: a '52 front clip that the owner wants to go to a "Studebaker fan" (what else?)

Here's the link http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/pts/612173281.html

[img=left]http://simps.us/studebaker/misc/images/Avacar-hcsdc.gif[/img=left]
      Paul Simpson
      "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
      The Red-Headed Amazon
      Deep in the heart of Texas

Paul Simpson
      "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
      The Red-Headed Amazon
      Deep in the heart of Texas

Comment

I love the part where he says,"looks like the shiny version shown here". Nice Commander in the picture BTW. If it wasn't so far away I would check it out.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona. Searcy,Arkansas
        "In the heart of Arkansas."
        Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

I saw this 52 at a car show a couple years ago. Not a good look in my opinion. The grille is still there, but has been painted black.

I paid $1,200.00 for the rechromed grille for my 52. That's a lot of money, but I think it's worth it. At least my 52 sedan doesn't have all the beltline moldings.

Leonard Shepherd
          http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

For a bright orange, in your face, hot rod the painted trim doesn't look bad, but I would try painting the grille the same as the other trim. At least he didn't two tone the grille pieces which I have seen and it just looks funny. [)]
            My brother has some of the pieces on his yellow truck painted a satin black which looks okay, but I'm not that wild about it. Just my 2 cents.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona. Searcy,Arkansas
            "In the heart of Arkansas."
            Searcy, Arkansas
            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
            1952 2R pickup

Comment

That is a dark picture Leonard, but the black grill in that orange 4 door is definitely NOT my cup of tea. Same with the bullet nose idea really, I just don't care for them. Guess I am a 52 man all the way.
              If I was going to pay big bucks to do either the grill chrome or the beltline trim, I guess I would choose the grill. Which still puts me back in decision mode on the beltline stuff.
              Standing there looking the car over in person, I can visualize the gray/white and of course the chrome. I can't see making it black Rich, there is no black anywhere on this car. Decisions, decisions...

Dan
              52 hardtop
              www.studebakerhardtop.com

Comment

Dan
                Bite the bullet. It'll be expensive but worth it in the end. I have a Speedster so you can guess what my chrome bill was but is worth it.
                Klif

55 Speedster
                55 Speedster/Street Machine
                63 Avanti R2
                64 Convertible R1

Comment

Regarding Option B-Powdercoating.

There are two big Easter Sunday car shows in St. Louis. Horseless Carriage Club (and local SDC)folks on one lot and the Hot Rodders on another adjacent lot. Yesterday was cold and sparse.

Nonetheless, I struck up a conversation with a guy who showed me his Edlebrock intake that came from the factory in "chrome" powdercoat. I saw it in good light and it was pretty impressive. The cast words and numbers were a little vague but otherwise a nice shine.

It looked good enough that I may have to investigate it for the stray potmetal pieces on my '41 Skyway Commander. It'll be kind of a budget job with kids in college.

Comment

Dan:
                    with my 52 the grille was $1300, and as was said above, mine a 2 door sedan doesn't have the chrome beltline. The chrome on the outside still topped $4000 to have redone, and that was a couple of years ago. At the time I thought I would choke, but as Brad said make the payments and enjoy the ride.
                    Art

Comment

The paint idea won out.
                      I think I like it very much actually, sorry for the poor pictures but I wanted to share them. The car does not lack for shiny, as the window frames and other parts make up for it. I think the painted beltline actually works, although interested in opinions.
                      No work done or decision for the grill yet - but it will not be painted grey. That's going too far.

Comment

Dan

Wise choice on painting the poor chrome trim. Looks like it belongs.

I like it a lot. [8D]

As far as the wipers, I bought a set from Rock Auto. The only differerence from stock is the adjustable end that attaches to the blade. Not good if originallity is an issue but, me thinks, not so important on your car. Less than $25 for the pair including the shipping.

Bob

Comment

Good job on the painted beltline!!! I have restored 3 '52's (2 were mine), and I love/hate that grille, but they look FANTASTIC when replated. I know chroming is expensive, but the painted grilles don't look good, IMHO.[8D]

Comment

Good chrome is costly, but worth the money. I can do high quality plating of die cast here for considerably less than some of the others mentioned previously.

Barry'd in Studes
                            Barry'd in Studes

Comment

quote:Good chrome is costly...
                              ...and high-quality inventive solutions to rod restomod problems are priceless. See "Studebaker Ute," elsewhere listed.

Two thumbs up from the mid-Pacific, Dan. I was kind of afraid these might wind up looking like the blackout trim on a late-series '42. Instead they look like seriously sweet.

Now... about those fresh daylight shots of the whole beautiful machine from a variety of different angles...

Keoni Dibelka / HiloFoto
                              In Hawai'i; on Hawai'i; on the Windward Side
                              If da salt air never chew 'em up bumbye da lava will...

Comment

quote:... about those fresh daylight shots of the whole beautiful machine from a variety of different angles...
                                Yeeaaa...I found out why I can't push it outside for a pic. Front brakes are locked up. Calipers sat a long time with no fluid, so I have a little project there. Then decent pics will arrive.
                                BTW I agree with the comment on good chrome being worth the cost. Unfortunately good radiators and good torque converters and the rest of the stuff I still need are worth the cost too. Something had to give.

Comment

Working...
                                X