Champ Pickup 5 sp. OD Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Champ Pickup 5 sp. OD Questions

I could use some info help from our Stude truck guys. I am trying to find info on the 5 speed overdrive manual trans. that was offered in the 63-64 8E series 1/2 and 3/4 ton Champ pickups. Using the forum search mode has told me that it may have been a New Process 540 trans. with a 18% OD ratio? Most important items I need to know are the OD ratio and what was the most frequently used rear end ratio with this trans. in those pickups? Also how to identify this trans. from the 5 speed direct trans? Was the shift pattern plaque on the dash and made of metal? Was the shift pattern on the shift knob also?

Thanks, Dean

Dean Croft
    Roseburg,OR

CLEM
    Dean

CLEM

Hi, Dean,

The New Process 540-OD has a .82 fifth, synchro in 2, 3, 4, 5. It was optional in ALL these truck series: 7, 12,13, 15, 25, 28, 35, 40 and 45. The most common rear axle ratios in the 8E12 were 4.10, 4.56, 4.88 and in the 8E13 & 15 were 4.88 and 5.13. Most I have seen had a metal shift pattern plate riveted to the dashboard.

There was also a Clark 251VO optional in: 15, 25, 35, 45. It had a .799 fifth gear, with synchro only on 4 and 5.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
    PackardV8

Comment

To add to Jacks post, the shift pattern is/was on a tag screwed to the dash board, no shift pattern on the knob.

The 5spd OD NP540 will have SO11 or SO12 stamped on lower rear corner of the back face of transmission case or on a stamped tag attached to the PTO Cover.
      The book neglects to say which back lower corner to look at but theres only left and right.

The DD version will have SD11 or SD12 in the same locations.

3E38
      4E2
      4E28
      5E13
      7E7
      8E7
      8E12
      8E28

59 Lark
      etc

Comment

I used to have a 61 Champ with a 259 5 spd OD. Was that the first year in a pickup?

Comment

My '61 1 ton had the 5 speed OD. Here's the dash plaque...

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Hello Dean; I have a 289 w/5spd. od in my M-15 dually. I don't know what rear ratios were used in stock trucks, but I used a mid-'90s GM rear-end w/373 ratio in mine. Works fine, although it lugs a little in 5th until your over 35 mph. It also has the same shift pattern as Dick's had. Jim King, Redding, Ca
            \'47 M-15, \'53 Commander, \'31 Ford, \'69 Javelyn

Comment

Hi, Nels,

FWIW, I've seen a '59 C-cab short box with the 5-speed OD, shift pattern plate on the dashboard, the owner claimed was OEM. It was the worst driving short box I was ever in. That big tranny shifted so slowly, the little unloaded truck almost came to a stop between gears. I notice in my E12, the T98 4-speed works as it was designed when I have a heavy load on it. The inertia of the load keeps the wheels turning while making the 1-2 shift. Unloaded, it is much harder to make a smooth 1-2 shift. As a result, it is driven as a 3-speed 99% of the time, in which case, i would be better off with a T85 and have the .722 overdrive. The 6:1 granny gear is very nice to have that 1% of the time when starting a heavy load on a hill, or going over rough ground. Life is about trade-offs.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
              PackardV8

Comment

quote:Originally posted by PackardV8

Hi, Nels,

FWIW, I've seen a '59 C-cab short box with the 5-speed OD, shift pattern plate on the dashboard, the owner claimed was OEM. It was the worst driving short box I was ever in. That big tranny shifted so slowly, the little unloaded truck almost came to a stop between gears. I notice in my E12, the T98 4-speed works as it was designed when I have a heavy load on it. The inertia of the load keeps the wheels turning while making the 1-2 shift. Unloaded, it is much harder to make a smooth 1-2 shift. As a result, it is driven as a 3-speed 99% of the time, in which case, i would be better off with a T85 and have the .722 overdrive. The 6:1 granny gear is very nice to have that 1% of the time when starting a heavy load on a hill, or going over rough ground. Life is about trade-offs.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
                A 289 with a T-85 is just about PERFECT for a "city truck!" I can't imagine needing anything lower that that truck T-85 first gear in a half-ton pickup!!

Comment

Wow guys thanks for the quick response to my questions. When I purchased my new 64' Champ back in the day, it had a three on the tree and a 170 Skybolt six. While I was discussing my needs with the salesman, he suggested that I purchased their shop truck which was a Red 63' Champ long bed, 289, 5-speed and twin traction. It was about $300 more than the truck that I ended up buying. $300 was alot in 1964. Of course within a short time I wished that I had bought that shop truck (it was kinda pretty too). Anyway, I have a lead on a Champ similar to that shop truck and plan to go have a look and see. That is why I have asked the questions. I need another vehicle around here like the proverbial hole in the head. Well you know how that goes.

Dean Croft
                  Roseburg,OR

CLEM
                  Dean

CLEM

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Clem64
                    Anyway, I have a lead on a Champ similar to that shop truck and plan to go have a look and see. That is why I have asked the questions. I need another vehicle around here like the proverbial hole in the head. Well you know how that goes.

Dean Croft
                    Roseburg,OR
                    Dean, Rest Easy... You should know that everyone needs a Studebaker Truck - that's just good sense. [^]

<h5>Mark
                    '57 Transtar
                    3E-6/7-122
                    </h5>
                    Mark Hayden
                    '66 Commander
                    Zone Coordinator
                    Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

Working...
                    X