1953 3/4 ton truck rear bumper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1953 3/4 ton truck rear bumper

I recently purchased a 3/4 ton truck just to get the almost impossible to get rear bumper. The bumper is great, but someone welded a big steel triangle to connect the hitch.I doubt I will be pulling anything so I want to remove this "folk art" hitch. Can a good welder just cut this off without damaging the bumper? Also what did the original taillights look like on this truck, where were they mounted? did this truck come with front turn signals. I know the ones that were on this are not correct. Thanks, David

A good welder will probably save time (and your money) by blowing it off with a torch. This will probably take fifteen or twenty seconds and do slight damage to the bumper. He, or she, will then grind down the slag and weld a bead to exceed original contour; then grind and sand down to original and you'll never know it wasn't perfect to begin with.
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10,
    '51 Commander Starlight,
    '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
    '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

The original directional signals for this truck included double-sided round lamps mounted on top of the front fenders, and single-sided lamps in the rear. The bodies were steel, and the lenses were plastic. (Early 2Rs had glass lenses.) Most Stude signal kits of that era were made by Sparton. The rear ones mounted on the outside of the bed, usually below the tail light(s). Many kits were installed by dealers, so the mounting location can vary. The parts book shows what the lamps look like.

Skip Lackie
      Washington DC
      Skip Lackie

Comment

I carefully cut a 3' long piece of 3"x3" angle iron (farmer hitch) off a 2R10 bumper to 'save' it.
        (And it was welded every stinkin' inch all the way around[xx(]).
        Took me about an hour (and a whole tank of oxygen and acetelyne) to get it off.
        (One look at the brackets and bolts that mount the bumper supports to the frame made all that welding a joke).
        But I saved it and put it on.
        My shins still haven't forgiven me[B)].
        (and I still have that old bent license plate)
        Ccab owners will know what I am talking about
        Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by david24

I recently purchased a 3/4 ton truck just to get the almost impossible to get rear bumper. The bumper is great, but someone welded a big steel triangle to connect the hitch.I doubt I will be pulling anything so I want to remove this "folk art" hitch. Can a good welder just cut this off without damaging the bumper? Also what did the original taillights look like on this truck, where were they mounted? did this truck come with front turn signals. I know the ones that were on this are not correct. Thanks, David
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

quoteand I still have that old bent license plate)
          Ccab owners will know what I am talking about

My '59 has a bent plate right now. Been that way for a while... Every time I back by a pole, the tag suffers. [)]

I recently ordered a vanity plate that reads 59 S2D. That should fix the bent plate; for a while at least. [8D]

Matthew Burnette
          '59 Scotsman
          '63 Daytona
          Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Working...
          X