Driveshaft Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driveshaft Removal

I need to remove the driveshart from our '63 GT. After marking the rear yoke, the driveshaft is slid to the rear removing the spline from the transmission. (Flight-O-Matic) Is there any preparation needed at the transmission? Fluid removal? Is there anything special about the replacement?
    Thanks,

Perry
    '23 Special Six,
    '50 Business Champ,
    '50 Starlight Champ,
    '60 Lark droptop,
    '63 GT R1
    Perry
    \'50 Business Champion
    \'50 Starlight Champion
    \'60 Lark Convertible,
    \'63 GT R1,
    \'67 Triumph TR4A

No nothing special, just mark yoke on rearend and corresponding area on driveline. If the car has been sitting for a while you may/will need a small drain pan under the extension housing to catch drips. Pry forward on u joint,after removing u joint cap u bolt. Some electrial tape wrapped around the caps will help secure them. Those little needles bearings can be a bear to pick up if a cap should drop off. Lou Cote [8D]

Comment

When I pull the drive shaft from an automatic I use an extra front yoke to slide on the transmission to keep any fluid from leaking out.

Comment

There are some inserts made just for this application. I have a set of them consisting of several different diameters. Just pick the one that fits over the output shaft on the transmission and slide it in after removing the driveshaft. These are really handy when removing the transmission or the engine and transmission from the car. I hate cleaming up transmission oil from the floor.

Henry Walter

Comment

From experience, just about as much xmission fluid will come out the speedometer gear hole as the output shaft hole...drain it... blacklark, Did you make the sleeves to fit over the tailshaft or buy them... I have never seen those before...good idea that I thought of years and years ago but was too lazy to pursue...

1955 President one owner
          Moncks Corner, SC

Comment

I bought them but don't remember where. I think it was Jegs or Summit. I think they were around $10 for a set of 5. I will try to find the package they come in when I get out to the shop.

Henry Walter

Comment

Put double sandwich bags and a couple of rubber bands over the tailshaft of the trans to keep fluid from leaking out.
              Make sure to buy a new seal for the rear of the trans.
              Wrap the diff end u-joint with electrical tape to keep the caps on.
              What are you doing that you needed to pull the driveshaft?
              Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by fpstude

I need to remove the driveshart from our '63 GT. After marking the rear yoke, the driveshaft is slid to the rear removing the spline from the transmission. (Flight-O-Matic) Is there any preparation needed at the transmission? Fluid removal? Is there anything special about the replacement?
              Thanks,
              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Here is a link to the tailshaft plug. http://tinyurl.com/28qq2f
                They have changed it so 1 size fits all or at least several.

Henry Walter

Comment

Thanks for the great input. As for the reason, I'm attempting to come close to the photos of some of the GT Hawks shown on this forum lately. The underside will clean and paint easier with the driveshaft removed. Plus, there is a little movement in one of the u-joints so I will replace them.

Also, any experience that can be shared on removing and replacing the seal would be appreciated.

Perry
                  '23 Special Six,
                  '50 Business Champ,
                  '50 Starlight Champ,
                  '60 Lark droptop,
                  '63 GT R1
                  Perry
                  \'50 Business Champion
                  \'50 Starlight Champion
                  \'60 Lark Convertible,
                  \'63 GT R1,
                  \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

To remove rear seal you will need: a seal puller or a mid sized screwdriver and hammer. I like to stay away from the lower section of [area ] where seal fits in extension housing, if you gouge sealing area it could leak. You may have to try a couple areas to get seal out. TIPS: for a rear seal look no further than the model for a chev turbo 350 rear seal, a large socket with the od about the same size as the lip that acts as a stop will work ok, on the backside of seal there is a garter spring,use vasoline or a medium grease on it to keep it in place when you hammer it home. Good Luck Lou Cote [8D]

Comment

Working...
                    X