where'd my oil go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where'd my oil go?

I drove my 52 six about 70 miles before putting it to bed last fall. When I checked the dip stick it was dry. Ran ok into the garage so I think it's ok. There was a bit of oil splash on the firewall and I noticed an oil leak at the drain plug over winter, but I can't understand that this would be enough to empty the oil pan. There was no smoking while driving. I also put silicone around the oil filter and it seems dry. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you.
    Joe

I bet you have a leak while running.

Comment

If you drove it fast, you may have blown it out the breather. I've seen high mileage sixes pump out oil when pushed hard. I've had Studebaker burn a quart every 30 miles too.

JDP/Maryland
      64 R2 GT (Sid)
      spent to date $62,839.60
      63 Daytona HT/4 speed
      63 Lark 2 door
      57 Wagon

JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

If you drove it fast, you may have blown it out the breather. I've seen high mileage sixes pump out oil when pushed hard. I've had Studebaker burn a quart every 30 miles too.

JDP/Maryland
        64 R2 GT (Sid)
        spent to date $62,839.60
        63 Daytona HT/4 speed
        63 Lark 2 door
        57 Wagon

Comment

Thanks guys: The car has only 30,000 miles on her. Maybe it's 130,000. I know I had her to the floor just to get it to 55mph. Is this normal for a six with no overdrive. Joe

quote:Originally posted by JDP

JDP/Maryland
          64 R2 GT (Sid)
          spent to date $62,839.60
          63 Daytona HT/4 speed
          63 Lark 2 door
          57 Wagon

Comment

The six in my 60 Lark 2 door would push to 80 without overdrive, 4.11 rear axle. Sounds like low compression/blow by.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Bothcars4.jpg[/img=left]
            Tom Bredehoft
            '53 Commander Coupe
            '55 President State Sedan
            (Under Construction) 134 hrs.
            '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
            All Indiana built cars

Comment

Check your oil pressure line,look for oil on the firewall,bell housing etc.

63VY4 Leakin' Lena Hagerstown MD

Comment

Working...
              X