Climatizer Pan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Climatizer Pan

Can the bucket/pan/shroud for the climatizer heater core under the passenger seat of a 55' hardtop President be removed without lifting the body? Seems an awful tight fit and I have been known to force it... I am trying to show some patience and restraint...Thanks... R.B.

1955 President one owner
    Moncks Corner, SC

Yes, but it may be stuck down with sealer.

JDP/Maryland
    64 R2 GT (Sid)
    spent to date $62,839.60
    63 Daytona HT/4 speed
    63 Lark 2 door
    57 Wagon

JDP Maryland

Comment

Its loose and in real good shape... its just that the back won't lift up far enough for it to come out.. it's like the intake (round part that the hose slides over)is too long and pushing down on the chassis when the back is lifted.... does that intake pipe come off closer to the pan? It is about 15 inches long....[?]Having the info from JDP, I will go look at it again... Thanks R.B.

1955 President one owner
      Moncks Corner, SC

Comment

They don't come out without a fight. I could never figure out why they stuck the pieces together so that the long intake tube was not removable from the pan part itself.

Comment

Maybe the later cars were different, but the one in my '53 only stuck out a couple inches at most and that tube you mention was made of some sort of cardboard-like material that the mice chewed up. I think that was held to the pan with a scew or two... Less tube part, the rest came right out. Come to think about it tho, the '53 does not have the "batwing" X member under the A pillar body mounts so that could be your problem too.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

Jeff, thanks, I was beginning to think mine was the only cardboard one. My body number is 1013, how does that compare with yours?

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Bothcars4.jpg[/img=left]
            Tom Bredehoft
            '53 Commander Coupe
            '55 President State Sedan
            (Under Construction) 134 hrs.
            '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
            All Indiana built cars

Comment

The fiberboard tube is removable in my '53 but, the front end is screwed in from the floor under the carpet. If the tube is an integral part of the box, perhaps you need to see if it is attached under the passenger's feet.
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Tom,

Mine is a Champion (if that matters), 14G-K5 body 3818. Built late May of '53.

Wonder when they changed them? I've got the pan from a '62 GT (I think) around someplace and I thought it does not have a tube on it either so did not realize some do.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

Yeah - take the one screw loose that holds that metal duct to the box inlet and then you'll be able to extract it.

Miscreant adrift in
                  the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

My Commander coupe was built Mar 10, 53. My 55 Prez has the metal tube spot welded to the box.

The coupe's heater box has been replaced with an all metal one.

Tom Bredehoft
                    '53 Commander Coupe
                    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
                    All Indiana built cars

Comment

Jeff and Tom , I have champion body 26 and it has the cardboard tube, I am curious, does your floor pan have the hump sticking out to the inside of the car where the tunnel meets the floor and bends up to the toe board ( hope you can see what I am trying to say).
                      Mine doesn,t have the hump, it is flat. This car has a lot of things different than other 53s I have seen. I am trying to find out when they changed the floor.

Comment

Leroy, my coupe is inaccessible now, the carpet covers the inside and I can't get under it to see the floor. When I get it out I'll try to remember to look. [Now, how to remember....]Postit.

Tom Bredehoft
                        '53 Commander Coupe
                        '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
                        All Indiana built cars

Comment

I know this is a lousy picture, but here is a B/W scan (on a doc scanner, not a photo scanner) of the front floor of my '53 taken back in early '95 when I took the car apart:

I drew a couple arrows on there. Is the hump at position A or B ??

I seem to recall there was some sort of feature around position B, but looking at several pictures I can't really tell for sure. I think I would need to crawl under the car now to look. I'll try when I get a chance.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

Figure A is where the hump is, You can feel and see it from the inside. it is a radious , sets up about 1.5 inch.

Comment

I removed the crossmember and it was no trouble after that... on the 55' Hardtop... Leroy, I spoke with you this morning on the phone... I am going out now to take pictures of that floor pan...and trunk area.. I will send them to your e-mail address... Thanks

1955 President one owner
                              Moncks Corner, SC

Comment

Working...
                              X