Brake Upgrade for 6 Cyl Hawk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake Upgrade for 6 Cyl Hawk?

ANOTHER question from the newbie with the Flight Hawk... have confirmed that the brakes are a do-over from the master cylinder all the way to the shoes. It's been suggested that I "upgrade" to a larger bore V8 master and wheel cylinders with finned drums (don't be laughing out loud without telling me what's funny!).

So here's the question... do I also need to upgrade spindles, etc or is it just cylinders, backing plates and drums? (I can figure this out from catalogs and manuals but I figured I'd toss the question out there because I always get answers to questions I didn't know I had!)

I don't think I can afford a disc brake conversion at this point but I'd like to have that in the long-term plan. Since I already have to replace everything, if there's a way to upgrade that would improve braking performance that won't also break the bank then I'm all for it.

I've already read all the threads about how I'm just gonna get run over trying to merge onto the freeway so to answer the question, no I'm not going to put in a V8 just yet.

Thanks a million!
    Rose

Fayetteville, AR

Master cylinder is the same, and the V8 backing plates and drums will bolt on.

JDP/Maryland
    64 R2 GT (Sid)
    spent to date $62,839.60
    63 Daytona HT/4 speed
    63 Lark 2 door
    57 Wagon

JDP Maryland

Comment

So (in your humble opinion) is the benefit worth the parts swap?

Fayetteville, AR

Comment

Finned drums might be a little hard to find,but you should be able to find usable non-finned V8 Lark drums and backing plates to fit your budget,the brakes will be larger than what you have and the wheel cylinders are still available from our vendors and NAPA. Replace the steel lines,flexible hoses,springs and hardware as well for safety.

quote:Originally posted by OzarkPetunia

ANOTHER question from the newbie with the Flight Hawk... have confirmed that the brakes are a do-over from the master cylinder all the way to the shoes. It's been suggested that I "upgrade" to a larger bore V8 master and wheel cylinders with finned drums (don't be laughing out loud without telling me what's funny!).

So here's the question... do I also need to upgrade spindles, etc or is it just cylinders, backing plates and drums? (I can figure this out from catalogs and manuals but I figured I'd toss the question out there because I always get answers to questions I didn't know I had!)

I don't think I can afford a disc brake conversion at this point but I'd like to have that in the long-term plan. Since I already have to replace everything, if there's a way to upgrade that would improve braking performance that won't also break the bank then I'm all for it.

I've already read all the threads about how I'm just gonna get run over trying to merge onto the freeway so to answer the question, no I'm not going to put in a V8 just yet.

Thanks a million!
        Rose

Fayetteville, AR
        63VY4 Leakin' Lena Hagerstown MD

Comment

quote:is the benefit worth the parts swap?
          YES!

Check your catalogs also to see which brakes were self adjusting.
          I don't know when these changes were made but, early 50's were, 60-61 weren't, '63 was.

There's nothing wrong with brakes that don't self-adjust. You just need to remember to adjust them at least as often as you change the oil or, more often depending on how you drive.
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Rose,I may have drums to fit,some used and some n.o.s.

Joseph R. Zeiger
            Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Thanks for reminding me about self-adjusting!

If anyone else has a recommendation that'll shorten my research time, please let me know so I can ask Joseph for the right drums!

Fayetteville, AR

Comment

Working...
              X