Electric fuel pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric fuel pump

I'm tired of replacing the fuel pumps on my '64 Daytona 259, because of the oil leakage problems. I am considering a switch to an electric. Rod and Custom had a good article a few months back on installing one, and it looks like there are several to choose from.
    My question is: have any of you, who have done this conversion, added a safety switch,so the pump will shut off in an accident?[B)] I see an oil pressure switch is offered.
    Also- any suggestions on brand of pump?
    Thanks!!

Bruce, it your local junkyard and get the inertia switch from any Ford product with EFI. They are usually mounted in the trunk area near the pump, and it pops the switch in a rear end collision. It'll probably run you about $25 or less.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $1826.83)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Over the years I've tried different brands of electric fuel pumps and found Carters to be the best bang for the buck. Don't be tempted by the Holley Blue models -they are extremely loud and unreliable. The carter is quiet, has a nice mounting setup and is not over-powerful for a Stude application. Just my .02cents...

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

http://community.webshots.com/user/s...host=community

Comment

I would agree the Carter rotary vane pump is an excellent choice for performance applications. However, it may be overkill for a stock Studebaker application.

Carter, and several others, make a solenoid-type pump which has only one moving part and no rubber parts. In my experience, it is both less expensive and longer lasting than any other. It will move plenty of fuel for a Stude and give no trouble. I don't know this eBay vendor, but this is the type I would choose: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ELECT...spagenameZWDVW

One caveat don't mount any type pump directly to the frame, or right under the driver's seat. The noise will be annoying. Mount an electric pump as near to the fuel tank as possible and use an additional rubber grommet through the frame in addition to the isolator clamp as shown in the photo.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
        PackardV8

Comment

I also have had good luck with the Carter pumps...on a few cars.
          There are three versions available. And as Jack hints at, you might also want to pick up a good regulator. I've got the small Holley regulator on my Conestoga.

Also as jack notes...my current setup is...the pump is rubber mounted to an aluminum plate...which is...rubber mounted to the chassis back next to the tank. You can still hear it...but you have to listen.
          A pair of those rubber tail pipe hangers would probably work to keep the noise down!

Mike

Comment

Hi, Mike,

I recently saw a Carter rotary pump suspension-mounted on a 6"x 8"x 1/4" flap of reinforced rubber. That guy didn't want ANY transference. I would be a bit leary of that much flexibilty in the fuel system.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
            PackardV8

Comment

Thanks for the tips, guys! I think I can proceed with this project, and be ready for crusin' weather![8D]

Comment

Working...
              X