New Avanti independent rear suspension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Avanti independent rear suspension

Here are some progress pictures of the Viper differential assembled with Corvette style rear suspension in the Avanti stainless steel chassis. The half shafts, tie rods, and camber bars are fabricated new. The half shafts are aluminum, the tie rods aluminum with stainless heims, and the camber bars stainless tubing with stainless heims.

We should be assembling the rear knuckles and spindles shortly. Trusting that it should work out to a 58 inch wheel mounting face width. B)

sigpic 1963 Studebaker Avanti: LS1 motor and T-56 transmission have been moved rearward, set up as a two seat coupe with independent rear suspension. Complex solutions for nonexistant problems.

Beautiful work!!!! I don't know how practical it is, but any REAL man would admit it's an absolute work of art!

Comment

Jewelry [] !!

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

The independent rear assembly has progressed farther. Here are a few more pictures of the assembly, now with the forged aluminum rear knuckles, calipers, and rotors installed.

sigpic 1963 Studebaker Avanti: LS1 motor and T-56 transmission have been moved rearward, set up as a two seat coupe with independent rear suspension. Complex solutions for nonexistant problems.

Comment

I just envisioned grobb284's next update with a sbca96 type "signiture". I don't think I've got the bandwidth for that .

Keep the posts coming [8D]

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Surely you're not going to put that thing UNDER a car where no one can see it, are you??? If so, that's a crime against humanity!

Comment

What a set-up..........this would be great in any hotrod. What kind of cost are we looking at? Thanks for any info.

Comment

No Dick, at MY wages his "sig" will end up dwarfing mine if he chose
                to make one. I couldnt afford ONE of those spindles, let alone being
                polished. Considering how well the 4th Gen Camaro handles, and now
                the new Mustang, a properly setup solid rear axle is perfectly fine.
                I have plans for mine, but it will never look that pretty. But then
                until my power steering blew up, I was driving mine. Last I read he
                was still looking for an Avanti body.

Did that one I sent you info on work out Grobb284?

Its neat to watch though. When you have a bottomless bank account, or
                a high credit limit, you can do anything you want.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: 97 Z28 T-56 6-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
                '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

quote:Originally posted by sbca96

When you have a bottomless bank account, or
                  a high credit limit, you can do anything you want.
                  and/or tons of talent

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

Thanks Dick! Good point, it did take a lot of talent to do my Cobra
                    brake setup on such a VERY limited budget. Thanks for the compliment!
                    I must say that was a pleasant surprise![:I]

Tom
                    '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                    Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                    I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Working...
                    X