No announcement yet.

Solid brake line replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm glad I read this post. I am almost ready to put new brake lines on the 57 Hawk I am working on. Saw those new lines at my local Napa store. Will give them a shot.
    64 Champ long bed V8
    55/53 Studebaker President S/R
    53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

Hey StudeRich-
      Can you tell more about the Ezi-Bend lines you purchased? They look very interesting...
      What Studebaker model did you purchase for? Also, what was the price for your kit(pretty cool they are actually producing kits for our cars)?

I want to replace all the lines on my 63 GT Hawk and have been looking at different options.

Thank You- Matt

1963 GT Hawk
      1960 Metropolitan Convertible
      1972 AMC Javelin/ AMX
      1958 Cushman Eagle
      -Matt

1963 GT Hawk
      1960 Metropolitan Convertible
      1972 AMC Javelin/ AMX
      1956 Cushman Eagle

Comment

I recently replaced all the brake lines in my daughter's '51 Champion 4-door. I used a 25 foot roll of bulk brake line from NAPA; I had about 4 feet of line left over after the job was done. NAPA calls it Polymer Coated Steel Coil 3/16" x 25'. The NAPA part number is 641-5473. It was about $33 (including sales tax). Of course I had to cut the line to size, add my own fittings, and double-flare the ends. The line was easy to bend by hand or with a small tubing bender. The polymer coating should help protect the lines from future corrosion.

Pete R
        Woodbridge, VA
        1954 Studebaker Commander Regal Starlight Coupe, 3-speed w/OD
        1964 Studebaker Avanti R2, 4-speed (R4399)
        1972 Chevrolet El Camino SS454, 4-speed
        1999 Corvette roadster, 6-speed
        Pete R
        Woodbridge, VA
        1954 Studebaker Commander Regal Starlight Coupe with '62 289 and 4-speed
        1964 Studebaker Avanti R5083 R2 4-speed with 4.09:1 Twin Traction

Comment

My 2 cents. Tube benders are cheap and very effective. Double flaring tools are not. $90 for a good one from snap on, still have to supplement the clamping in a vice, or the tube slips. Have done a couple of jobs where the parts were not matched. metric on one end and american standard on the other end. Had to cut and flare. I've gotten decent at it, about 3 out of 4 are right the first time, but I buy pre fitted in the correct length whenever possible. One of those things you just have to get right.

San antonio TX. 53 Champion Coupe, to be brought back from the dead.
          "Of course it will fit, I have a torch"

Comment

Working...
          X