new guy with 52? R series, with questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new guy with 52? R series, with questions

i just picked this sucker up yesterday, its got the flatty 6 and 3 speed O/D. its my first stude but i have driven an M5 with an R series drive train that was really fun. my plans are to clean it up, paint it, change the bumpers, lower it a little, and give it a split intake and exhaust and maybe a *****in head if i can afford one. and then drive the crap out of it.
    can anyone tell me what kind of rearend is in it? it needs a pinion seal.
    how do i turn off the freewheeling transmission?
    and can i drive in O/D in all 3 gears?
    thanks! -joe-

****in isnt a bad word
    can anyone identify the year?

Comment

I will have to let someone else answer the part about the rearend. I know it's a Spicer, but I don't remember what series. As far as the overdrive goes, yes you can have overdrive in all three gears, but the engine must be turning enough rpms for the governor to allow the overdrive to kick in. With the stock set-up my 52 car only rarely drops into overdrive in second gear and never in first.Some people wire in a manual switch and go to overdrive whenever they want. I understand it is fun to pretend you have a six speed!

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, 1947 M5. Searcy,Arkansas
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

and can i drive in O/D in all 3 gears?

Turn off, crawl under the truck and find a little lever on the rear half of the transmission and move it forward, or pull out the handle marked OD

Drive in OD? yes, but then you cannot use reverse. There's a reason for the OD, powerful starts and low RPM cruising. Do a search for 'overdrive' in the tech section, theres' lot of information available.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Bothcars4.jpg[/img=left]
        Tom Bredehoft
        '53 Commander Coupe
        '55 President State Sedan
        (Under Construction) 134 hrs.
        '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
        All Indiana built cars

Comment

quote:Originally posted by rad

I kind of like it just the way it is []. The heck with paint [^]!

If everything is hooked up properly, you can take it out of OD by pulling the OD handle out. (in for OD, out for no OD). Do this while the truck is stopped. This will also lock out the freewheeling feature that is there when the truck is in OD.

If things aren't hooked up (or hooked up properly), you can probably go under the truck and trip the lever that the cable is SUPPOSED to move when pushed or pulled. Longer term, you'll want to insure the cable is hooked up and adjusted properly and that the electrical part of the OD system is also hooked up and working properly. It's a great feature...especially on a low geared truck.

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

ok, i pulled the lever on the dash yesterday and the knob popped off. im definatly going with a manual OD switch

Comment

"I kind of like it just the way it is . The heck with paint !"

you cant tell how bad the paint is in pictures, i love old paint but this stuff just isnt happen'n.

thanks for the help guys!

Comment

The knob that had the handle pop off is for the cable that locks out the overdrive. The electrical part is separate. You will still need a cable to operate the lockout feature for when it's needed. Overdrive is really nice once you get it working like it should.
                I agree with Dick as to the paint, but we can't see it up close. A friend here drove a pickup like yours in partial primer and part faded original paint. The dull finish actually helped hide what he called his bag of walnuts fenders. Even though he had chrome wheels on it most people never suspected he had a Stude 289 with a supercharger under the hood! BTW He was one of the people I have known with a manual switch on his overdrive.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, 1947 M5. Searcy,Arkansas
                "In the heart of Arkansas."
                Searcy, Arkansas
                1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                1952 2R pickup

Comment

Ihave a rear end you can have. I live in Camino,Ca

Comment

The rear axle is a Dana /Spicer Model 41 also used in older Commander cars and other makes Jeep wagon/pickups from the 40's.

3E38
                    4E2
                    4E28
                    5E13
                    7E7
                    8E7
                    8E12
                    8E28

59 Lark
                    etc

Comment

If it is in fact the Dana/Spicer model 41 axle, according to the SI (Studebaker Internatioal) catalog, the pinion seal is the same for the model 27 and 44 axle. Many Stude part vendors have these. Check the SDC Website for the list of those vendors. Hope this helps.

Dan Miller
                      Atlanta, GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
                      Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

Find the serial number plate on the driver's side step riser just below the seat and post the serial number. It will start with R5-
                        Post the number and we should be able to verify what year it was built even though the factory didn't intentionally designate year changes on this model.

Dwain G.
                        D 'N Q RACE ENGINES

Comment

the vin is CR4711 or 6R4711
                          model 2R-C2
                          cab 242254
                          i think im going to buy a shoebox ford rearend from a friend and stick it under it. i think theyre like 3:73s
                          i have bag of walnuts fenders too, i think i'll do a two tone primer job on it.

Comment

I guessed this was a 2R5 model with the 170 cid 6 cyl engine. I see it is instead a 2R6, still a half-ton pickup, but with a 245 cid engine.
                            The serial number tag should have read R6-4711, and that does fall in the 1952 production. If you got the serial number off the title instead, that could be the original engine number which would start with a 6R. Notice how the '6' and the 'R' trade places!

Dwain G.
                            D 'N Q RACE ENGINES

Comment

so it used to have a 245? someone must have swapped a 170 in it because it looks too small to be a 245

Comment

Working...
                              X