Studebakers for Towing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebakers for Towing?

[?] Does anyone use a Studebaker for towing travel trailers? We've just acquired a 1959 18' Airstream and are unsure of the towability by Stuebakers (especially at high altitudes---we're near the Colorado Rockies).

Many thanks,

Lori [:X]

"The Common Sense Car"
    "The Common Sense Car"

http://www.starlightstudebaker.com

'61 Lark "Isabella"
    '63 Lark "Lucy"
    '63 Wagonaire "Carl"
    A bunch of other Larks
    '50 Starlight, '55 Speedster , '58 Packard Hardtop, '59 Pickup, '64 Avanti "Jerry"

quote:Originally posted by lotsalarks

[?] Does anyone use a Studebaker for towing travel trailers? We've just acquired a 1959 18' Airstream and are unsure of the towability by Stuebakers (especially at high altitudes---we're near the Colorado Rockies).

Many thanks,

Lori [:X]

"The Common Sense Car"
    "Studebakers" covers quite a range of cars and trucks. I probably wouldn't tow it with a '41 Champion, but certainly with a 1964 3/4 ton T cab with a V8.

What Studebaker would you be using for a tow vehicle?

A '59 Airstream is a pretty nifty rig! I think Mr. Biggs needs one of those behind his Transtar [8D]

-Dick-
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Wife's been after me for years to get either a Stude with a camper body or a trailer we could pull with a Stude.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President 2-dr
      1955 President State
      1951 Champion Biz cpe
      1963 Daytona project FS
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

(Oops, I misspelled 'Studebakers' in my first post [:I].) We're considering cars that we already have from '58-'63. A '58 Provincial wagon (if we can figure out a hitch set-up), a'58 President hardtop, a '63 Wagonaire, or a '59 1/4 ton long-bed truck. Any suggestions would be great!

Lori[:X]

"The Common Sense Car"
        "The Common Sense Car"

'61 Lark "Isabella"
        '63 Lark "Lucy"
        '63 Wagonaire "Carl"
        A bunch of other Larks
        '50 Starlight, '55 Speedster , '58 Packard Hardtop, '59 Pickup, '64 Avanti "Jerry"

Comment

Lori,
          You can go back and 'edit' your original post to correct your spelling error (if you wish).
          Open your old post and select the box with the pencil.
          You can then edit it.
          Hope the info helps.
          Jeff[8D]

(Oops, I misspelled 'Studebakers' in my first post [:I].) We're considering cars that we already have from '58-'63. A '58 Provincial wagon (if we can figure out a hitch set-up), a'58 President hardtop, a '63 Wagonaire, or a '59 1/4 ton long-bed truck. Any suggestions would be great!

"The Common Sense Car"
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

"The Common Sense Car"
            What is the gross weight of the trailer? Do you mean 3/4 ton long bed '59 Pick up? How are the cars and truck equiped (engine, trans, rear end ratio)?

-Dick-
            Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Don Richards in New Hempshire does, and has numerous heavy duty Studebaker trucks.

Comment

The trailer is a little more than 2,000 lbs. Yes, I meant a 3/4 ton pick-up.[:I] The President and Wagonaire are 289 automatic with 3.31 axles. The truck is a 289 3-speed OD with a 4.10 axle. The Provincial wagon is a 259 automatic with a 3.52 (we think).

Thanks,
                Lori & Will

"The Common Sense Car"
                "The Common Sense Car"

'61 Lark "Isabella"
                '63 Lark "Lucy"
                '63 Wagonaire "Carl"
                A bunch of other Larks

Comment

The trailer is a little more than 2,000 lbs. Yes, I meant a 3/4 ton pick-up.[:I] The President and Wagonaire are 289 automatic with 3.31 axles. The truck is a 289 3-speed OD with a 4.10 axle. The Provincial wagon is a 259 automatic with a 3.52 (we think).

Thanks,
                  Lori & Will

"The Common Sense Car"
                  Wow! I think you're in great shape to use just about anything in your "fleet" to tow that light of a trailer. My first choice would probably be the pickup, second the Wagonaire, but the President and Privincial should do fine also. I'd have a class 3 receiver type hitch fabed for whatever vehicle you choose to use. A good hitch store should be able to fix you up. You might also consider a load leveler/sway control set up even though the traile is a light one.

Post a picture of the rig when you decide which one to use.

-Dick-
                  Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

We have several Studebakers that we use for towing. Our one truck used to be a 1/2 ton and we towed 10,000 lbs with it. (we didn't know it at the time) Then we converted it to 3/4 ton and put a turbocharged 289 in it with a NP 540 tranny and 5.38 gears. We have towed up to 12,000 lbs with it. Towing a 2,000 lb trailer will be no problem for any of your studes. My great uncle pulled his 8,000 lb boat with his 57 hawk, 289 with 3spd. Here is a picture of our truck pulling our company Jeep.

Jake

-Home of John Studebaker-

Comment

I've hauled ALL SORTS of cars and trucks on HEAVY flatbed trailers behind my stock '57 Transtar half ton (3E7) with no problems at all. This even over the vehicle-testing "Grapevine" hiway, north of Los Angeles.[:0]
                      289/3-spdO/D with a 4.10TT rear axle. I can even pass folks going uphill with a big Stude on a dual axle trailer. And this is with the stock Stromberg 2bbl carb in place.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe
                      1957 President 2-dr
                      1955 President State
                      1951 Champion Biz cpe
                      1963 Daytona project FS
                      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

What are the details on your '58 Pres Hardtop? They are so rare we're trying to catalog them =)

Comment

In the 60's, my brothers and I pulled a 14 ft travel trailer with a 59 Lark, flat 6 3 speed and OD from Seattle to Eastern Washington accross the passes almost every weekend of hunting season for years. I don't recall passing anyone much but, I don't remember much interstate then. I don't recall ever having a problem towing or stopping. We were kids and didn't give it much thought. Come to think of it,I never thought about it too much till you asked about towing.

36 dictator
                          48 starlite
                          50 starlite
                          48 starlite Commander

32 Austin 7

Comment

I remember a '42 Commander sedan that hauled a trailer with a 1924 coupe on a trailer from Missouri? to Gettysburg for the 1980 National Meet. I have a picture in 120mm slide format that I can't scan to post here.

Even Commander six power is fine; it's gearing and brakes that are to be considered. Does the Airstream have electric or surge brakes or no brakes?

Brad Johnson
                            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
                            Brad Johnson,
                            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I just towed a '56 Parkview wagon (3k lbs plus) with my 1/2 ton '62 Champ. Didn't have any trouble at all with the hills. It was a 150 mile trip (one way) and had to climb to Buckhorn Pass (3460ft) Then down the other side and up the driveway by Lucifer Metastophelies. You'll have to down shift on the hills, but other than that, your little Airstream should'nt give any of the Studes listed any trouble. At 2k it's well within their capability.

The question is; what is the condition of your vehicles. If they are in marginal condition, then towing the trailer will only make it worse. If they are in excellent condition, you probably won't know the trailer is back there. Just use a good equalizer hitch. Someone has posted a thread here saying that the hitch from a Volvo 740 will fit a '56 wagon. That being the case, it should fit most of yours. The truck will have to be fabricated.

Personally, I'd tow the trailer with the truck. It's a better bet for that kind of thing. I don't like towing with an automatic. Never have. I've always found using an automatic vehicle for towing to be expensively troublesome.

Home of the incredible Mr. Ed!
                              Lotsa Larks!
                              K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                              Ron Smith
                              Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                              Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                              K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                              Ron Smith
                              Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Working...
                              X