Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Studebakers for Towing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

By all means use an equilizer hitch and then get a controller for the electric brakes on the trailer. Much safer.

Denny L

Comment

Got my drivers license on a Wednesday and we left Friday from Ohio to Florida towing a 14' travel trailer. I remember doing most all the driving. I don't recall any issues.

The setup was a '55 President with an axle attached equalizer hitch. Dad pulled many miles with that setup first on a '51 Land Cruiser, then the '55 President and then a '61 Lark... all Automatic V8's. He didn't pull in the Rockies but all through the Smokies and Appalachians. The worst grade I remember him complaining about was on a country road outside of Somerset, PA.

I don't know if you can find an axle hitch anymore but that made for a sweet setup that didn't tear up or rely on the car suspension or beat up the passengers.

Comment

Working...
      X