Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buddymander
    replied
    There's no way in 4377 I'm hooking up a roll of toilet paper to my car unless it's in the roadside emergency kit...

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Many, many samples were taken with amazingly good results in the 50's, 60's and 70's when these were popular back in the days when the installation instructions only needed about six types of installations instead of thousands on today's cars, and there was available space and excess to the engine to install one.

There were tripple stackers for larger engines, marine and Diesel, grinding machines etc. and they were approved for Aircraft use after the Aeroquip clamp replaced the spring clamp.

We used two ply Chiffon white then, no longer available in tightly wound, non-perfume, non-colored, non-quilted, non-fluffy etc. so we use Scott 1000 single ply.

I believe they fell out of favor for exactly those two reasons. The Sky Corp. in Stockton, Calif. then moved on to manufacturing more profitable items. Hmmm...now where have you heard THAT story before?

quote:Originally posted by Kdancy

Out of curiosity, has anyone done oil sampling on an engine using this filter set up? I wonder about the chemicals used in the paper making process and their effects in motor oil.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA

Leave a comment:

• Kdancy
    replied
    Out of curiosity, has anyone done oil sampling on an engine using this filter set up? I wonder about the chemicals used in the paper making process and their
    effects in motor oil.

Leave a comment:

• rusty nut garage
    replied
    I've ran these filter before, keep your o-rings fresh and they shouldn't leak.

quote:Originally posted by Studebiker59

Hi
    I have had a 59 VI Lark that I saved from melting into the ground, for about a year and a half now and there was no oil filter on it at all. Apparently that was an option in 59. Anyway, my Dad (a long time car guy and retired mechanic) had an NOS Franz Oil Filter (toilet paper) kit, brand new in the box he'd had since the 60s, that he gave me. I installed it on the car and it works fine. However it has begun leaking a bit around the bottom of of the can. A friend of mine saw a post on this forum a while back about putting a restrictor in the line on these filters, to slow down the full pressure from the engine to the filter and eliminating the leaking. I cannot find that post, so I'm putting up a new one in hopes someone with experience with Franz filters has some information on this or in general about these filters.

This car has been a real joy and I'm hoping to make it more of a daily driver, than a trailer queen. [:X]

Thanks,
    Deby
    Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
    57 SH (project)
    60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Leave a comment:

• 53 Commander
    replied
    Here's the Franz Web Page.

http://www.wefilterit.com/

Steve
    53 Commander Hardtop
    55 Commander Conestoga
    60 Lark Convertible
    62 Champ 7E7
    49 2R15 Stakebed

Leave a comment:

• r1lark
    replied

Hi
    I have had a 59 VI Lark that I saved from melting into the ground, for about a year and a half now and there was no oil filter on it at all. Apparently that was an option in 59. Anyway, my Dad (a long time car guy and retired mechanic) had an NOS Franz Oil Filter (toilet paper) kit, brand new in the box he'd had since the 60s, that he gave me. I installed it on the car and it works fine. However it has begun leaking a bit around the bottom of of the can. A friend of mine saw a post on this forum a while back about putting a restrictor in the line on these filters, to slow down the full pressure from the engine to the filter and eliminating the leaking. I cannot find that post, so I'm putting up a new one in hopes someone with experience with Franz filters has some information on this or in general about these filters.

This car has been a real joy and I'm hoping to make it more of a daily driver, than a trailer queen. [:X]

Thanks,
    Deby
    OK, for what it's worth.........
    From the Frantz website FAQs at: http://vs01.tvsecure.com/cgi-bin/vs0...q/smartfaq.cgi

I changed my Frantz Oil Cleaner/Filter from my old car to my new one and I now have a leak problem around the base clamp. What is wrong?
    If you have moved your Frantz from an older vehicle to a newer one and have a leak problem, you may need a 1/16" Orifice Restrictor to help control the pressure of oil flow into the unit now. This can happen with vehicles that have a higher than normal oil pressure pump. Leaking is caused when oil is forced into the Frantz Oil Cleaner/Filter faster than it can exit.

However, most Champ six engines I have had experience with don't seem to have "higher than normal oil pressure".....

Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Exactly what Jeff said, you don't fool with the flow on a bi-pass oil filter, Frantz has the correct SAE required size hole already drilled in the inlet fitting hole in the center port of the base. You do not change those, all it would do is reduce the volume of oil reducing the efficiency of the filter. All you need is a new base gasket. They do a very good job when changed every 1000 to 2000 Miles Max, they do not require oil changes due to the detergents being replaced at each filter change by replacing the missing quart absorbed in the tissue.
    Lab tests have proven the cleanliness of the oil.

There is a guy in Texas that still has the base gaskets, parts, new filters and adapter rings to convert the center shaft to the new larger size core of modern Toilet paper available today, it must fit tightly on the center post! I found some Costco Kirkland brand tissue that has the old style small core and fits if you can find it.

Found this with a Google search for Frantz. This may be the guy I bought from, I don't know but I see he has the #218 base gasket $2.00 ea. for type "C" that's the square gasket, not "O" ring for the type with the clamp at the base of the canister.
    http://www.wefilterit.com/orders/200/index.htm

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA

Leave a comment:

• DEEPNHOCK
    replied
    Restrictor, or no restrictor....
    Your filter should not leak with 60+ psi of oil pressure inside of it.
    Find the source of your leak and fix it.
    Jeff[8D]

Hi

Thanks,
    Deby

Leave a comment:

• Studebiker59
    started a topic FRANZ BiPass Oil Filters

FRANZ BiPass Oil Filters

Hi

Thanks,
    Deby
Working...
X