X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jclary
    replied
    Originally posted by CrazyCars View Post
    New update! After much research I discovered that my oil pump is missing a "horseshoe shaped thrust washer"! Obviously the part isn't supposed to be in there for decoration!! It must have a purpose.
    I called up Stephen Allen's and ordered one. Will let you all know how it works out. Thanks again for all your suggestions.

That's Great news! I have been following this thread with intense interest. I did a in place overhaul on my truck way back in 1975. As ignorant as I am now, I was at least ten times more ignorant than I am now and still have a long way to go. In addition, I also spent years specifying and applying pumps in various applications. Automotive oil pumps are generally one of the most precision made and durable components across the totality of the industry (with some few exceptions). I can't think of any of them with unnecessary parts. Our oil pumps are basic gear pumps. The clearances in the pumps, and the space of gear meshing determines volume of intake and outflow as the pump operates. It could be that missing thrush washer causes one gear to slide out of place and affect the pumping action. This is complete theory on my part because I have not studied the components thoroughly. That's why I was hoping one or more of our professional mechanic members (I'm certainly not one) would speak up with a credible explanation of how you could be having this problem , unless there is some kind of horrible hack job by the machine shop who did your rebuild.

Get that oil pump back together properly and let us know. I am very interested in the outcome.

Leave a comment:

• CrazyCars
    replied
    New update! After much research I discovered that my oil pump is missing a "horseshoe shaped thrust washer"! Obviously the part isn't supposed to be in there for decoration!! It must have a purpose.
    I called up Stephen Allen's and ordered one. Will let you all know how it works out. Thanks again for all your suggestions.

Leave a comment:

• OldJoe
    replied
    Gary, are you certain your gauge is functioning?
    Joe

Leave a comment:

• CrazyCars
    replied
    I DO have a gauge hooked up. Key in keyway on shaft is there. Oil pump drive is connected to camshaft - I watched it turn as I turned the motor from the flywheel. Both gears in the pump come out easily altho, according to the Stude repair manual, a special puller is needed. Also, according to illustrations I have seen, there is supposed to be some type of thrust washer(?) on or behind the drive gear in the pump. Mine is missing. I primed the pump using a suction gun full of oil. When I had the pan off, I made and installed a new pick up tube gasket, tightening bolts down firmly. I also looked over the pick up tube for cracks but it had none. I've taken the spark plugs out, oiled the cylinders, and cranked the starter at twenty second intervals, still no oil pressure. I've worked on dozens of motors in my time but this one has me baffled. All comments really appreciated. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Jeffry Cassel
    replied
    Oh, I forgot; hook up a gage directly to an oil line to be sure gage is not at fault.

Leave a comment:

• Jeffry Cassel
    replied
    I spose if they forgot the relief valve they may have forgotten something else. I had a similiar situation but not on a fresh engine. Very perplexing but eventually discovered the gasket where pickup tube was connected to the block was bad and leaking. Replaced it and primed the pump and good oil pressure. Don't recall enough about 6's but they probably have internal oil plugs that could be 'forgotten' Good luck and hang in there!

Leave a comment:

• az64stude
    replied
    Maybe blocked oil pick up tube (gasket), or an air gap in the tube (crack). But back to the gears in the pump, they may rotate without the moon key, but they will stop with the slightest oil pressure if the key is not in place. Its worth checking again.

Leave a comment:

• Mrs K Corbin
    replied
    I hate to say it, However; If the oil pump relief has been left out, and you still don't have any pressure at all-------- I'd suspect anything else they did to that engine.

Leave a comment:

• ChampionRuss
    replied
    Prime that engine with a pressurized oil tank before starting or you'll wipe out your bearings. I would use a two gallon paint pressure tank filled with oil and connected to the oil gallery and pressurized with your air compressor. Set the regulator for about 20 pounds. Can also be used to check the crankcase for excessive leaks by removing the oil pan and placing a plastic catch pan under the engine. Bearings should drip oil; any big streams of oil will show where the oil is going.

Leave a comment:

• Jeffry Cassel
    replied
    Same thing happened to me a couple years ago. The problem was that the gasket on the oil pick-up tube was defective so the pump was sucking air. I replaced it, primed the pump and plenty of pressure. There is a key on the shaft that can be left out in which case the pump won't turn. You'll have to remove the pan to see what is going on in there.

Leave a comment:

• jclary
    replied
    I can see your frustration and desperation in your posts. Low oil pressure is one thing...but NO oil pressure is another thing all together! While I am just a bungling backyard tinkerer, I would like to see some comments from our professional mechanics who do these things for a living. I don't know how you are turning the engine to check out the oil pressure, but if you are cranking it up and running it...I don't know how much the engine can run without damage by only being lubricated with the assembly lube?

On the V8 engines, you can use a dummy shaft and spin the oil pump without cranking on the engine. But I'm not sure about how these six cylinders work without cranking up the engine unless you remove the spark plugs and try to spin it on starter power with no compression? Even then, I'm not sure you will get enough speed (rpm) to build up the oil pressure?

Leave a comment:

• CrazyCars
    replied
    Turns out, the oil pressure relief valve did not help. Still no oil pressure. Took apart the pump and determined that the oil driving shaft from the cam was connected. I turned the motor from the crank and could see the shaft turning. I checked the gears and the pump plate, all fine. Blew out oil passages; from pan and thru motor with air - clear. Packed pump with Vaseline - STILL NO Oil Pressure! Never encountered a situation like this! HELP please!

Leave a comment:

• altair
    replied
    On the other side of the equation good oil pressure isn't always the end-all-be-all I had an engine rebuild with good oil pressure and it was seizing when hot, after a second teardown it was found the oil galleys were plugged and restricting the oil flow, good pressure but no volume.

Leave a comment:

• nvonada
    replied
    Most shop manuals I have seen tell you to pack the oil pump with petroleum jelly to prime it. But pumping it full of oil is just as good. If you don't you may get lucky but depending on luck is a bad idea when rebuilding engines.

Leave a comment:

• altair
    replied
    Most of the engines I have worked on have been flat head Dodge and Studebaker as well as Stude V8, some over head Chev 6s and some British 4s.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X