Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

No oil pressure in rebuilt 170 motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: No oil pressure in rebuilt 170 motor

Got my 64 Commander 170 cu in motor back from the machine shop, installed it and discovered NO oil pressure at all. I pulled the pan (no easy job) and confirmed that the oil drive gear was meshing with the cam gear. The pick up tube has no cracks and I replaced with a new gasket. I tried packing the pump in Vaseline, a trick we used in the old days. Still nothing. I then tried filling an oil suction with oil and forcing it into the galleys via a fitting. Zero. I unscrewed the 1/4 inch plug in the pump face hoping to bleed out the air and get the oil moving. Still nothing! I'm out of tricks here. All suggestions (other than junking the car) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

When I was in High school we rebuilt a 170 and had the same problem when starting it. We removed the 1/4 plug from the plump and used a old pump type oilcan and filled the oil pump with 30w oil. We had oil pressure after that. Don't know if it'll work for you or not though.

Comment

Originally posted by joncon View Post
      When I was in High school we rebuilt a 170 and had the same problem when starting it. We removed the 1/4 plug from the plump and used a old pump type oilcan and filled the oil pump with 30w oil. We had oil pressure after that. Don't know if it'll work for you or not though.
      Hey, it's worth a try. Thank you much!

Comment

Yes! Prime the pump!
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Just used the same type setup to pressurize the pump on our 170 for the TROG car. Pressure came right up!

Originally posted by joncon View Post

Comment

What did the shop use for main bearings, brand name, part number?

Comment

Ya gotta wonder if there are internal Oil Galley Pipe Plugs that can be left out somewhere in a Six, that like on the V8, will loose Oil Pressure INSIDE the Engine and not be leaking outside?

What about the Full Flow Oil Filter Adapter internal Valving, were those Valves checked?
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I wonder is the half moon key in the oil pump? You did verify the gears are actually turning?

Comment

Prob Solved: Morons at the machine shop left out the oil pump relief plunger. I spent two whole days trying to figure this out but at least I got it. Thanks all!

Comment

The words about priming the oil pump is somewhat foreign to me, I have assembled at least 20 engines and have never "primed" the oil pump. All my engines have started up with full pressure every time.
                    Have have I just been lucky? Usually just cranking for 10 seconds will do it.

Comment

Originally posted by altair View Post
                      The words about priming the oil pump is somewhat foreign to me, I have assembled at least 20 engines and have never "primed" the oil pump. All my engines have started up with full pressure every time.
                      Have have I just been lucky? Usually just cranking for 10 seconds will do it.
                      Maybe you are referring to different engine and/or oil pump configurations.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Most of the engines I have worked on have been flat head Dodge and Studebaker as well as Stude V8, some over head Chev 6s and some British 4s.

Comment

Most shop manuals I have seen tell you to pack the oil pump with petroleum jelly to prime it. But pumping it full of oil is just as good. If you don't you may get lucky but depending on luck is a bad idea when rebuilding engines.

Comment

On the other side of the equation good oil pressure isn't always the end-all-be-all I had an engine rebuild with good oil pressure and it was seizing when hot, after a second teardown it was found the oil galleys were plugged and restricting the oil flow, good pressure but no volume.

Comment

Turns out, the oil pressure relief valve did not help. Still no oil pressure. Took apart the pump and determined that the oil driving shaft from the cam was connected. I turned the motor from the crank and could see the shaft turning. I checked the gears and the pump plate, all fine. Blew out oil passages; from pan and thru motor with air - clear. Packed pump with Vaseline - STILL NO Oil Pressure! Never encountered a situation like this! HELP please!

Comment

Working...
                              X