Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Type of spark plugs r-2 ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Type of spark plugs r-2 ???

A friend has a 63 hawk with the r-2 supercharger. One book lists h-14y and another says j-12y . Now just looking at them, the h-14 y has a longer nose as the j-12 y has a short nose. Any ideas ??

Go with J12Y or UJ 12Y
    Originally posted by Bob Beckert View Post
    A friend has a 63 hawk with the r-2 supercharger. One book lists h-14y and another says j-12y . Now just looking at them, the h-14 y has a longer nose as the j-12 y has a short nose. Any ideas ??

Comment

Originally posted by Hawklover View Post
      Go with J12Y or UJ 12Y
      Not having great luck with new Champions I switched to Autolite some years ago and have had good service. My Avanti is R-1 so I"m not sure if that if comparable to R-2 or not.
      I'm trying to get a fully restored '64 Daytona Full Package car (one of only 27 built and this one is one of a kind in color) ready for an eBay buyer. We have had starting problems with it so I decided to try Autolites again after I looked at some of the old threads about spark plugs that favored Autolite 85 plugs. I went by my favorite old time NAPA store and bought eight 85s, on sale for $1.99 each. The very dirty plugs I took out were also Autolites, but I didn't recognize the numbers.
      Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

I've been using Autolite 85's in my Avanti for years and have gotten good service from them. I have used Champion RJ12Y plugs in it, but they had been on the shelf for years and not the current production plugs and have gotten good service from them also. The older Autolite plugs before Ford started labeling everything Motorcraft would have been either an A32 or A42 which correspond to the new Autolite 85. If you can find them, Motorcraft plugs now use the old Autolite numbers so the A32, A42 number is still good. I still have a bunch of the old Autolite plugs for the standard 259-289 engines that are numbered either AL52 or AL82 which corresponds to the new Autolite 437 plugs. Bud

Comment

Ideally...the standard and R1 engines used the "H" (long body) series plug.
          The R2, R3 and the infamas R4 used the "Y" (short body) series plug.
          Now that said...cylinder heads are easy to change, engine to engine..! And since the standard (long reach) heads are much more plentiful...well, you get it...

Will the short body spark plug work in a standard head, yes, but not exactly properly.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post
            Ideally...the standard and R1 engines used the "H" (long body) series plug.
            The R2, R3 and the infamas R4 used the "Y" (short body) series plug.
            Now that said...cylinder heads are easy to change, engine to engine..! And since the standard (long reach) heads are much more plentiful...well, you get it...

Will the short body spark plug work in a standard head, yes, but not exactly properly.

Mike
            The earliest mention of Avanti plugs was in the first '63 owners book, and it said J9 was the plug to utilize, I have never seen the "H" plug recommended for use in an Avanti, my '64 owners book says J12 for all standard uses.
            Last edited by Hawklover; 09-30-2019, 11:01 PM.

Comment

According to my Champion Spark Plug catalog, only the RJ12Y 3/8" reach plug is recommended for the R1, R2, and R3 engines. The H series 7/16ths reach plug is recommended for the standard non R engines. Bud

Comment

Working...
              X