Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Wiper Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: Wiper Issue

I don't really drive the Hawk in the rain very often but in Washington it can sometimes catch you out. When I turn the wipers on they will work for a few minutes and then just stop mid swing, then start up after a few minutes for a few more minutes...and so on. They also do not park automatically. I know there is a a lot of fiddling that can be done to figure where and what the issue is but I am also wondering if any one has found a more modern replacement for the motor? Never mind, found the web site.
    Last edited by whitehawk759; 09-10-2019, 05:39 PM.
    Don Watson
    61 Hawk

No “modern replacement” needed or required. Studebaker electric wipers worked just fine when they were new, so maybe after 50 or 60 years it is no surprise that they might need cleaning and lubing, and a park contact plate replacement.

Comment

The start and stop problem is not the Motor doing that, it is the Circuit Breaker opening, cooling and closing.
      Of course it is too much current draw from a worn or shorted Wiper Motor that caused it.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Well, thanks guys I will fiddle with it a while before I order something not Studebaker.
        Don Watson
        61 Hawk

Comment

With the changes in the web site I don't see the "search" function, I am probably just missing it. I queried the problem a month or so ago when the two wiper motors I had would not function at all. One, after disassembly is probably DOA however the other after a through cleaning and lubing seems to be OK. At least it worked on the bench. Sorry I can't give you any more info.

Comment

Working...
          X