Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Leaf spring clip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame/Springs: Leaf spring clip

Hi All
    I am in the early stages of restoring my 55 coupe, so this will be the first of many questions
    The new spring clips i have look too big to work on just 2 leaves (like the old ones), but will be ok securing 3 leaves.
    Does anybody see a problem doing this?IMG_2455.jpgIMG_2456.jpgIMG_2457.jpgIMG_2458.jpg
    Cheers
    Stu
    Ps. I will be painting before assembly!

It looks like to many straps. Those larger straps are not used in 55 I think they are on 62-up leaf springs.DSC06506.jpg

Comment

Thanks for the reply az64stude, im only using the 2 large ones (they were sent with plastic liners and bushes) but they will only work around 3 leaves.
      Cheers
      Stu

Comment

When I restored the springs on my 69 Z/28, I made my own clips. Several were available from vendors, but I wanted them to match the originals.

I just used mild steel. You can make them any size you want. Hear are a couple of pics during the fitting stage.

axle&springs 019.jpgaxle&springs 020.jpg

Comment

Thanks Lynn, I was more concerned about securing 3 leaves as the original ones were located on just 2 leaves like yours and az64studes (whether it would affect spring movement), so i will send back the ones sent to me and get smaller ones.
          Cheers
          Stu

Comment

Working...
          X