hawk trunk floor replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: hawk trunk floor replacement

Is there any thread, tutorial, video, etc, about installing (especially fitting with those mystery Sharpie lines) a Classic Enterprises replacement floor pan in a Hawk?

Although this project is teetering on abandonment. But half of those feelings is just the depression talking....
    1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
    1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
    1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
    1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
    1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
    1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

I have installed two, and it's more than a lunch hour project, or even a weekend project. Kinda like walking to California, walk a little everyday, then rest and repeat the next day. Eventually you'll get there. For the trunk, need to drop the gas tank. Raise the rear end up and place jack stands under the frame rails, forward of the rear springs' front mounts. That way, the rear end will sag down a bit, and make it easier to space up the new floor corners. Just follow your nose, it ain't rocket science. Be sure to measure several times, and be careful not to not cut too much out of the old floor, that exceeds the outer edges of the new floor. To hold it in place, you can weld it, rivet it, or bolt it in. But it takes many bolts or rivets, and takes more time. So best to weld it if you have the equipment.

Expect the unexpected, i.e. rust you were not aware of around the gas filler cover, or up along the walls. You will probably learn some metal working skills you never had before, but that's a good thing. LOL. Once finished, coat it top and bottom with your favorite protective paint. You will LOVE the end product!

Comment

I've gotten the new pan tacked into place on my '64 GT, but I need to get the body on my rotisserie to finish weld it in. Bad back and neck (neck fusion surgery scheduled for 10/14) have slowed down my progress and ability to lean into the work space available. I rounded the side and front edges with an aluminum baseball bat and some careful hammering. That turned out pretty good. My advise is go slow, measure, measure, measure and cut conservatively. You can always cut more as you go, but if you cut too much then you have to do additional patching. It can be discouraging but don't give up. Walk away for a while if your frustration gets to you.Bill

Comment

The two prior posters did a nice job of describing the task you have in front of you. If you don't have a welder it will be difficult I was lucky to have a plasma cutter to cut out the rusty stuff and a wire welder to reassemble. You will gain lots of skills before you are done I live near Council Bluffs and if you wanted to stop by I could show you all of the patches I had to make plus how I did it. The floor was easy compared to the tail pan? and all the inner trunk metal that I had to fabricate. Note.....I made my living sitting at a desk, I am not a skilled metal craftsman

Comment

Working...
        X