Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Replacing rear seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: Replacing rear seal

I hope to hit this with my air impact wrench tomorrow to get to the leaky seal. Once the nut is off, you suppose I'll need a puller? I'm more concerned about replacing it, once the seal is fixed. I did something similar to an old Ranger and had to mind over-tightening so as not to scrunch the bearings within. Same with the 44?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Scotty rear.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	1761122

I have removed the trunion by tapping, not pounding, with a soft hammer - plastic, nylon, lead, dead blow.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Worked great, thanks, Roy!

Comment

Any time, Tom. You are welcome.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
        10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
        56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
        60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

But normally a puller is required. Impact to remove nut. I have a Studebaker pinion seal remover which is GREAT! Be careful installing new seal so you do not damage it. I also have the special tool for that job but one could be made and I have used a socket in the past.

Comment

The crush ring is used in some designs to set bearing preload. Shouldn't be reused and must be tightened to a specific value. Our Spicers do not use that design.

Comment

Working...
            X