Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

'53 - '54 Radiator Saddle Orientation? (Was: Picture of "radiator balk")

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: '53 - '54 Radiator Saddle Orientation? (Was: Picture of "radiator balk")

I wonder if anyone have a picture of the balk holding the radiator & also the fenders together for a -54 (maby also -53?) Coupe/Hard Top (if it's different from sedan?). The thing is that I've got one from a Hawk but I don't know if it's the same + what side is front of it.
    (The car's old welded-together-customized-front is sold & now I'm trying to get it together more original style.)
    This is the balk:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	005.JPG Views:	1 Size:	102.3 KB ID:	1761119
    (as you can see the "ears" points one way & I don't know what's front or back of it & if it's a "Hawk only")
    Last edited by showbizkid; 09-21-2019, 05:54 PM.
    sigpic

Josephine
    Champion V8
    4d sedan

My 53 Starliner doesn’t have those “ears”.
    Attached Files

Comment

Thanx for the pic! But I think it actually does have the ears; that's what's holding it onto the frame, look at the lower part in your picture... But it seems they're not pointing front- or backwards so I'll have to cut & weld.
      sigpic

Josephine
      Champion V8
      4d sedan

Comment

OK, a "Balk", good to know.
        A Radiator Saddle is known as a Balk in some Countries.
        Studebaker calls it a Radiator "Support".

Sedans and the C and K Models ARE different.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Does this picture help any? This is my 53 coupe (C body)Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1001.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	1729458 The brace (round rod) is welded on it and is in the front, as pictured. Also notice the 5/16 screw holes (top front)

Comment

Nox, yours look like the ears are in the center. I’ve looked closely at my car, just don’t see them.

Comment

Ah, didn't really know what to call it Rich, sadle would be what I'd pick. Maby it looks like the ears on mine are centerd but they're not Tim, & now since I've seen Flashback's picture I also see that it's the same as mine so the rad sits back a bit compared to the ears that bolts it to the frame, thanx a LOT!
              sigpic

Josephine
              Champion V8
              4d sedan

Comment

Nox, Some people refer to them as Balkhead saddles. You playing around with ships would shorten the expression.

Comment

A bulkhead (spelled with "u") in a ship is the wall between different compartment Alan, I didn't really know what to call it, sadle seems best now that I've seen it spelled out, so I just called it a "balk" as a beam but I thought a beam is always straight while "in some countries"(?) it could be called "balk" straight or bended but for a sertain use, such as framebalk for example... Anyway, got my answer & life runs on...
                  sigpic

Josephine
                  Champion V8
                  4d sedan

Comment

It's been a while since I worked on this & just now I was gonna do a bit but when I tried to put in the radiator sadle, the swaybar is in the way; to high up! So yeah, I can put a bunch of washers under it but then the fenders might be to high at front...
                    Is there anybody else who's been running in to this problem?
                    Going back there now to see if I just had a baaad dream...
                    sigpic

Josephine
                    Champion V8
                    4d sedan

Comment

Nope, reality it is for me just now! So I took pictures of it:
                      Attached Files
                      sigpic

Josephine
                      Champion V8
                      4d sedan

Comment

Nox, Stude used a spacer .500" thick and a few smaller spacers stacked up to align the fenders.

Comment

Yes I thought about that but the gap by the doors will be rather strange then. Then I also thought that when the engine & gearbox goes in the lower A-arms outer ends will go up & maby the middle bit will go down..?
                          But that would cause the radiator sadle & sawy bar to knock against eash other when jumping on a rough road...
                          Just can't figure it all out yet.
                          & maby this ought to be moved to tech talk..?
                          Last edited by Noxnabaker; 09-21-2019, 02:51 AM.
                          sigpic

Josephine
                          Champion V8
                          4d sedan

Comment

Yep, thinking this ought to be moved to the Tech Talk colulm but I don't know how & if it would help...
                            sigpic

Josephine
                            Champion V8
                            4d sedan

Comment

This is a radiator frame from a 54 Champion sedan

Comment

Working...
                              X