Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

'60 Lark wagon brake project.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: '60 Lark wagon brake project.

What size brake line should my '60 Lark wagon have? It's a 6 cylinder manual trans car if that makes a difference. Also, what size fuel hard line should it have? What type of line? Copper? Steel? Thank you! -Lark Marc.

Most all auto parts stores have various lengths of 3/16" with all of the correct fittings/couplers. It's plain ol steel. Some are coated for corrosion protection.
    You can use special (for brake line) stainless steel, but it only comes in large rolls and you have to install "all" of your own fittings. With the finished steel sections, you may only need to change a couple of tube lengths and add your own fittings.
    99.99% of the cars on the road use the same size line, up to current year cars.

Mike

Comment

3/16 for the brake line. I use cunifer lines. 8 cyl cars use 5/16 fuel line, I'm pretty sure the sixes use the same. I use cunifer for that too. Its a bit spendy, but does not rust or corrode. Due to past experiences, this is important on a non-split
      braking system.

JT

Comment

Excellent! Thanks guys! This thing is moving forward at a near glacial pace, but I hope to have brakes and fuel system totally wrapped by the time the snow flies. Then it's time to get the engine out and see what needs to be done...

Comment

Originally posted by oilnsteel View Post
          I use cunifer lines. ... fuel line, I use cunifer for that too. Its a bit spendy, but does not rust or corrode.
          Concur with this recommendation. It really doesn't cost that much more to have something that will probably outlast the vehicle. Cunifer is a copper-nickle blend; softer than original steel or stainless; much easier to bend without kinking, as well as producing a double flare with less effort.
          "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Thanks again guys. I'm thinking of going with the Cunifer. The local Auto Zone has a 25' roll for $56. I would hope that's enough to get the job done. I've never done flares before, but like most things you learn with experience! -Lark Marc.

Comment

Working...
            X