No announcement yet.

Air Conditioning Kits? (Was: Bob Helm?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: Air Conditioning Kits? (Was: Bob Helm?)

Does anyone have any contact information for Bob Helm? Looking for info on his AC Kits. I'm looking for an AC/Defrost/Heat, under dash, COMPLETE kit, for my Hawk...

I got mine from him several years ago and was quite happy with it. I believe that since then he has passed away. I'm not sure if anyone took over the business or not.

Comment

What kind of Hawk do you have, Silver Hawk? May I have some interior photos if it’s stock?

Comment

Bob passed away a few years ago.

Comment

TIM333 - Mine is a Sky Hawk...

Comment

Originally posted by 345 DeSoto View Post
            TIM333 - Mine is a Sky Hawk...
            I put a Vintage Air in my 53 commander fit good the ducting was a little fun with the wiper links moving back and forth. Vintage Airs complete units are about 1300.00 there is cheaper ones

Comment

For reasons unknown, Vintage Air has not included a kit intended for Studebakers other than the R and C cab trucks.
              I believe many have installed them in their C/K models, but it requires a lot of measuring, and VA recommends making a mockup of their unit to see if it will fit.
              Wouldn't you think there would have been more demand for a full kit to fit the coupes and hardtops?
              "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10,
              '51 Commander Starlight,
              '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
              '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

I put Vintage Air on my 61 C body. The Mark IV under dash unit they sell will fit under the dash but just barely. The condensate drains are the biggest pain I had to deal with. Because the under dash unit basically touches the floor in the back, I had to run 2 separate drains down through the floor.

The rest of the components fit pretty easily.
                Wayne
                "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

Not positive but I believe Bob Helms inventory was sold off after his passing. Bill

Comment

I have been helping a friend do this install in a 63 Hawk , He is using a vintage air unit a/c only , The under dash unit fits well and looks nice. We had some belt alignment issues with the compressor mount nothing overwhelming just annoying. I had the drive pulleys in stock (sorry no more in stock) But you have to use a 1/2" wide automotive belt in order to drive the compressor correctly , The unit cools the car well and it should be at Mansfield , Ed

Comment

If interested my buddy has an A/C setup we pulled from a '61 Hawk. All parts are there . Evap appears to be '62 Lark with black face . Asking $700 or offer. Can deliver to Mansfield.
                      Rob in PA.

Comment

Rob,
                        How "complete" is it? Does it have the crank pulley, compressor mount, etc? I'm in NY, and am interested. Would you, by any chance, be going to Dunkirk?..
                        Tony

Comment

I have a 1950 Studebaker Commander Bullet Nose and would like to put air conditioning in it. Does anyone have any suggestions? It is a 6-volt system.

Comment

Originally posted by jacrow42 View Post
                            I have a 1950 Studebaker Commander Bullet Nose and would like to put air conditioning in it. Does anyone have any suggestions? It is a 6-volt system.
                            Matthew, at Stephen Allen's, has a 1951 Commander/Land Cruiser with six volts and A/C. Perhaps he will see this and speak up. If not, do a search as he has covered this subject in other topics/threads.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                            X