Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Tranny stopped working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission: Tranny stopped working

Howdy guys,

So i just got my 61 Lark OHV 6 driving. And in about 3 mins of freeing the clutch from the flywheel and driving it, it magically stopped working.

I can shift into all gears while the engine is running with the clutch pedal pressed and not pressed with no grinding. I heard a pop when i was at a stop and started letting the pedal out. It was grabbing but then the pop noise came and then started rolling backwards.

Does this sound like I need a new transmission or does that sound like a clutch issue? This is the L6 overdrive tranny. If i need a new one, is there anyone here near seattle that might have a spare?

Thanks guys
    Ryan

Sounds to me like the center may have torn out of the clutch disc. I'm thinking that the tranny is probably fine.

Comment

Agree with tsenecal. Clutch disc failed, most likely. If a manual transmission fails to the point of complete "no drive" status, usually it has been making a lot of crunchy noises first. One thing to check: if car moves in reverse, or if OD is locked out, then the roller clutch in the overdrive has failed.
      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Ryan - These guys helped me with clutches on several Studes.
        https://brakeandclutchsupply.com/locations.shtml
        I'm sure they'll have what you need!

Comment

Yeah it doesn't move in any gear i shift it into. That makes sense that the center of the disc failed. I'll contact the guys in Tacoma here soon.

Is that fixable or do I need a new disc now? Does anyone happen to have an extra 8.5" clutch (PP and disc) laying around?

Comment

Working...
          X