Clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch / Torque Converter: Clutch

Changing the clutch on my 58 Hawk6.someone messed up previous install flywheel is suspect.Spare flywheel is drilled for 8 1/2 HD? Clutch Original was 8 in Have pressure plates for both can I drill and tap to install smaller clutch?or can I change over to the HD clutch? Will bell housing and linkages interchange?Thanks

Originally posted by scoutergord View Post
    Changing the clutch on my 58 Hawk6.someone messed up previous install flywheel is suspect.Spare flywheel is drilled for 8 1/2 HD? Clutch Original was 8 in Have pressure plates for both can I drill and tap to install smaller clutch?or can I change over to the HD clutch? Will bell housing and linkages interchange?Thanks
    Believe 170 flat heads used 8 inch. 185 and OHV 170 used 8-1/2 inch.

Comment

never seen a 58 Hawk 6 cyl. Is it an export? rare bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffry Cassel View Post
        never seen a 58 Hawk 6 cyl. Is it an export? rare bird.
        I believe that '57 to '59 Silver Hawks were built for the U.S. Market in both 6 Cyl. and V8, of COURSE not a big seller.

On '59 6 Cyl Hawks and maybe the others, the Wheelhouse MOULDINGS were left off.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

When I bought my '54 Champion in 1996 it needed the clutch replaced. Original equipment was the 8 inch clutch, but the aftermarket one I put in (Borg Warner rebuilt) was 8-1/2. B-W specified in their catalog at the time to use the 8-1/2. It fit and worked fine with no modifications to the flywheel or anything else. Not sure if this pertains to your '58, but just thought I'd mention it.
          EDIT: I just noticed that your original post is from August, 2019 so hopefully you resolved this by now!

Comment

Working...
          X