Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

1956 Steering Wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: 1956 Steering Wheels

I have three 1956 cars: 2 GHs and what turns out to be a basket case Flight Hawk, not a Power Hawk. I was asked if I had a Power Hawk steering wheel. The steering wheels in the GHs are good and untracked. The Flight Hawk steering wheel was covered in leather. I presumed it was good. It is cracked in many places. It is the same off-white alabaster but does not have the little metal rings in it. Can this be restored? I think Schrock Bros was recasting them at one point.

I lied. After a clean up it does have silver trim rings but many cracks and small missing chunks. Restorable?

Comment

Yes...$$$$.

Comment

Originally posted by 55s View Post
        Can this be restored? I think Schrock Bros was recasting them at one point.
        The Shrocks have begun to slow down. They aren't actively taking in any new work, and have started selling off tools/equipment. I called Tommy last week about doing a Phantom wheel for a '42 President, his response was, "We just sold the mold". I had a feeling that this was coming and I'm glad I went ahead and had them do the Ruby Red wheel in my '51 Commander.

I think Tommy is close to 85 years old, and David is around 80. Well deserving of retirement. They've had their fill.

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
          The Shrocks have begun to slow down. They aren't actively taking in any new work, and have started selling off tools/equipment. I called Tommy last week about doing a Phantom wheel for a '42 President, his response was, "We just sold the mold". I had a feeling that this was coming and I'm glad I went ahead and had them do the Ruby Red wheel in my '51 Commander.

I think Tommy is close to 85 years old, and David is around 80. Well deserving of retirement. They've had their fill.
          Add to that, oil was found on their land , so why sweat, lay back and
          enjoy life.
          I wonder who was buying their molds.

Comment

Working...
          X