Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drive Shaft angles, WITHOUT BODY (57 Hawk)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drive Shaft: Drive Shaft angles, WITHOUT BODY (57 Hawk)?

Hi guys,
    reading the posts on drive shaft angles and vibration, I thought I'd check mine while still in the 'chassis rebuild' state. Below are photos of my current status, and the angles along the path.
    Basically, Carb base is dead-nuts at 0deg as it sits, frame is 0 to 1deg (basically level).
    Tranny slopes down 6deg, short-shaft up 3deg, long-shaft down 7 deg, and pinion casting of differential up 4 deg. Net= -6 deg, and I read it should be about zero.

BUT, I have no body on the car, and that is going to compress the springs and change the angle on that long-shaft (isn't it??).
    So, does anyone know how much the angles change with addition of the rest of the body and accessories, or is it not possible to confirm the drive-line until fully loaded?
    Everything is restored and/or new (engine mounts from SI, w/ the left washer), and new U-joints, front coil and rear leaf springs from Phil Harris. Center bearing is in correct set of holes, etc.. so unless the new springs or mounts are 'different', should be factory spec..
    Thanks!
    Barry
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5097.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	1760864Click image for larger version

Name:	driveline angles (no body).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	1760865

I can very much appreciate your striving for the factory specs, however a few degrees up or down will not matter or affect the performance. Check with a driveline shop.

Comment

Thanks, as long as this doesn’t sound “ way out; vibration problem ahead!”, I’m good! :-)

Comment

I would think that if you know the weight on the back + front you could put those weights on the frame above axels & see.
        sigpic

Josephine
        Champion V8
        4d sedan

Comment

Working...
        X